Hapless Quintillus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I was the lucky winner of this one in @Severus Alexander 's first Ancient and Medieval Coins Canada auction and I just couldn't wait to post about it. Up until now, I had only had a "space-filler" example and this one is quite nice for the type -- the obverse legend, while partially off the flan, has a clear QVINTILLVS and it's pleasing to the eye.

We don't know a whole lot with certainty about Quintillus. He and his older brother Claudius II Gothicus came from a low-born family from Illyricum (the green area along the Adriatic in the map, below).
    pannonia.jpg

Quintillus rose to prominence when his brother became emperor in 268. Some ancient sources report he served as Procurator of Sardinia during his brother's reign. He was acclaimed as emperor by his soldiers immediately following his brother's death, then confirmed by the Senate. However, the legions campaigning along the Danube were either unaware or disapproved of Quintillus' elevation. They instead elevated their general Aurelian as emperor. Outnumbered by Aurelian's troops and seeing the handwriting on the wall, Quintillus' troops deserted him.

The few records of Quintillus' reign disagree on the cause of his death. The notoriously unreliable Historia Augusta reports that he was murdered by his own soldiers in reaction to his strict military discipline. Jerome implies that he was killed in conflict with Aurelian. John of Antioch and Joannes Zonaras report Quintillus committed suicide by bleeding himself to death. John reports his suicide was assisted by a physician. All records agree he died at Aquileia.

These ancient sources also disagree on the length of his reign, variously reported to have lasted as few as 17 days and as many as 177 days. However, there is good reason to believe his reign lasted 77 days.* In any event, "a few months" seems reasonable. While coins of Quintillus are not plentiful, they aren't hard to come by, either, and there were too many different types issued to suggest a reign of only a few weeks' duration.

*See Banchich, note 4, here.

But on to the coin! Post your coins of Quintillus!

Quintillus SECVRIT AVG antoninianus.jpg
    Quintillus, AD 270.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 2.95 g, 20 mm.
    Rome, 11th officina, issue 1, end AD 270.
    Obv: IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, bust right, radiate, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from the front.
    Rev: SECVRIT AVG, Securitas standing left, legs crossed, holding short scepter in right hand, leaning on column with left elbow; officina mark XI in right field.
    Refs: RIC 31; MER/RIC temp 1194; Cohen 63; RCV 11451; Normanby 1197; Hunter 17.
    Notes: MER/RIC lists 10 varieties of this coin, differing somewhat in bust type and presence or absence and placement of the officina mark.

PeteB, gogili1977, galba68 and 25 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a nice one, nice catch.

Here is mine. Ex: E.E. Clain-Stefanelli
    quint lot 717.jpg

PeteB, gogili1977, galba68 and 21 others like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Quintillus (270 A.D)
    Æ(S) Antoninianus
    O: IMP CM AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right.
    R: FORTVNA REDVX, Fortuna standing left with rudder and cornucopiae. Z in exergue.
    Rome Mint, 270 A.D.
    2.65g
    18mm
    Appleshaw hoard 305; RIC 19 var (cornucopiae)

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

One of the missing emperors in my collection. Nice coins !

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice examples, @Orfew and @Mat ! Orfew's coin has an amazing portrait! You can really appreciate the emperor's Don-Henley-style fro and beard!

Orfew likes this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My choice:
    [​IMG]

Kevin’s choice:
    B7ECC0AF-FFB3-46F8-8091-DABF3341E9CA.jpeg

8. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Perfect portrait !

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Congrats on the new acquisition! Nice portrait:artist: I really enjoyed the write up. Thanks for sharing.
    CollageMaker Plus_20184615325669.png
    Quintillus
    270 CE AE Antoninianus (19
    mm, 2.88 g), Roma (Rome).
    Obv. IMP C M AVR
    QVINTILLVS AVG, radiate,
    draped and cuirassed bust
    right.
    Rev. AETERNIT AVG Sol
    standing left, raising right
    hand and holding a globe; N
    in left field.
    RIC V, 7

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice write-up and great coin @Roman Collector !

QUINTILLUS:
    RI Quintillus 270 CE Ant - Rome mint - Radiate-Victoria RIC Vi 33.JPG
    RI Quintillus 270 CE Ant - Rome mint - Radiate-Victoria RIC Vi 33

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

the quintessential Quintillus...if you're trying to get'em all, ya gotta have him...^^ Quintillus antoninanus Geta denarius 001.JPG Quintillus antoninanus Geta denarius 004.JPG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  13. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice coin and writeup! Quintillus is one of my favorite of the ephemeral emperors, oddly a bit reminiscent of Otho's tragic end. A couple odd things about his reign:
    1) We don't know how long he actually ruled because Aurelian backdated his reign to the death of Claudius II, essentially removing Quintillus' legitimacy as emperor.
    2) I've seen some passing references to a deification issue of Quintillus, which of course doesn't make any sense if Aurelian saw fit to erase his predecessor. If they actually exist (I have yet to see a photo of one) there is a good chance that they are "barbarous" issues made by his few loyal soldiers.

I feel lucky to be the keeper of this Quintillus, plucked from a higher end Naumann lot about a year ago
    20171204_Quintillus-Providentia.jpg

Here's an odd example of a Rome mint DIVO CLAVDIO minted under Quintillus and accidentally paired with one of his reverse dies
    Divo Claudio Pax.jpg

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I've always found those short reigns fascinating. "Quintillus" is a cool sounding name, too.

RS073-Quintillus.JPG

15. jcbrown

jcbrown Member

I have about 2 dozen of Quintillus. My son shares his name, and he refers to him as "another 3 month wonder". This is my best of the bunch.

Attached Files:

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Your son is named ... Quintillus? Wow.

Orange Julius and ominus1 like this.
  17. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice coin there jc..and kool name for a son too, welcome to CTA...:)

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

19. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

How'd you get away with that?! I have a toddler and another on the way... I keep trying to slide ancient names into the list and keep getting rejected. The eye-rolls from my wife are a regular part of our baby name brainstorming sessions. Haha... I'll get one to stick eventually.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  20. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

I've shown this one quite a few times here but... here it is again. My best Quintillus.

@Roman Collector That's a nice Quintillus. I really like that reverse type!

IMG_6596.JPG

21. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

This is my only one:
    Antoninianus; Mediolanum, Aug./September-November 270 AD, mintmark T (3rd officina)
    18 x 19 mm, 2.64 g
    Ref.: RIC V Quintillus 45; Sear 3242A; Cohen 8;
    Obverse: IMP QVINTILLVS AVG radiate and draped bust right
    Reverse: CONCO EXER Concordia standing l. with standard and cornucopiae. T in ex.

#454-IMG_0204.JPG #454-IMG_0208.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted