Hansegulden

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by ffrickey, May 26, 2014.

1. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

I recently saw a gold "Hansegulden" for auction. Apparently there are different varieties of this coin, in gold or silver, with some variant designs. I like the design! This seems to be a modern "coin" (or medal) apparently of German origin, but there seems to be little info about the issuer. Does anybody know more?
    The gold coin was 3.1 g of pure gold (999.9) and 20 mm diameter, and it sold for 100 Euros flat, i.e. about bullion value. DEHansagulden.jpg HanseguldenAg.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Don't know much about those medals, but they have been around for a while. Here is a silver piece from 1976 for example. The "ship side" and the "denomination" are about the same ...

Christian

4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

What is the "Hansegulden"? Is the English name "Hanseatic League"?

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Gulden is the name of an old currency, I don't think you need to translate it, the 'Hanseatic league' was a confederation of merchants. I don't think the medals are linked to that.

6. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Yes, the Hansa is the Hanseatic League of merchants from northern European ports, and a Gulden was a common unit of currency in Northern Germany, the Netherlands and other places traditionally worth about 2/3 of a Thaler. It remained the Dutch currency up to the introduction of the Euro. Certainly these medals do recall the glory days of the Hansa (12th - 14th Century) with a Hansa "Kogge" merchant ship on one side. I just haven't been able to find out who struck them.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Here is a similar one, but instead of the compass rose it shows five animals (an eagle, two lions and two griffins, I think). Not fine gold like yours but 986. Another one is here for example.

By the way, you just missed the annual Hanseatic Day. ;) The Hanse was "revived" so to say in the early 1980s, mostly to promote tourism and international cooperation of the participating cities. The 2014 Hanseatic Day was in Lübeck last weekend, see here. However, the Hansegulden medals are (originally) a little older than 1980, I think ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted