Hand It Over !! U.S. Coins That Could Be Deemed Illegal To Own

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GoldFinger1969, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Don't forget that US Canadian quarter

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Now only to big collectors. Like the TV guy. How do they get 10,000 and we can't get thru at noon on a sale day. The little guy stays little

4. Cheech9712

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

62238_37658069_2200.jpg
    Judd 1776 Saint Gaudens pattern 1907

GoldFinger1969 and -jeffB like this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I think I read about this in the Burdette Saint book.

If this was a pattern, then it could be taken/given to the engraver or that other circle of higher-ups. Not sure how many of these there are (I can check) but I am not sure there is more than 1 which means probably unobtainable and not sure there's an APB on the coin/pattern, either. :D

7. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

There is one.
    Laura apparently offered 15 million on behalf of Simpson and was refused without discussion.

GoldFinger1969 and -jeffB like this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

Who has the pattern ?

I'm surprised he bid that high (it's Bob Simpson, the oil guy, right ?). It may have been an outlandish offer just to see if whoever has it would entertain discussions.

If the 1933 only went for $6.6 MM (without bp), tough to justify 2x that even for a rare pattern which is definitely 1-of-a-kind.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's in a trust now if I remember right, it won't be sold for a long long time.

10. charlie danger

charlie danger New Member

So how does one sell a coin, say a 1974 d aluminum to private sellers?

11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

lol

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

No one has to worry about that.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Carefully.

It is possible to have well connected dealers who have contacts with well heeled collector quietly put out the word that such a coin may be available, and if if one expresses interest to then start quiet private negotiations for the sale, and the sale is not openly publicized. It's like the underground market for stolen art work etc. It exists.

GoldFinger1969 and Mainebill like this.
  14. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

There is a legal principle that may apply (up to courts, of course) to coins obtained from the Mint without Mint’s permission and without criminal involvement of the obtainer or current owner. If a party claims a loss but has known the particulars for a considerable length of time (maybe coded in law or up to judges) and made no prior effort at recovery, then a court may effectively say “too late”. I’ve heard the terms acquiescence and laches used for this principle. Perhaps someone can explain the difference, if any.

For pattern coins of the early 20th century and earlier and the 1913 liberty-head nickels, acquiescence should apply. These coins are well known, have been through countless public sales, and the current owners of many are known. I don’t know of any action by the government taken to recover them. For the 1933 double eagles, the government has stated repeatedly that they are all government property and has always attempted to recover them when they obtained knowledge of their existence.

Got old patterns? Lucky you … you get to keep them. :)

Cal

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  15. GoldFinger1969

Very carefully........:D

Draft saved Draft deleted