Hammer Time!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Oct 30, 2019.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Lately it seems I'm picking up more and more coins that are slabbed. I'm not looking for them, they just seem more abundant than before.

So, I've become pretty adept with my old hammer.

20191030_214350.jpg

giphy.gif

V615.jpg
    Titus as Caesar
    Æ Dupondius, 9.66g
    Rome mint, 73 AD (Vespasian)
    Obv: T CAESAR IMP COS II CENS; Head of Titus, radiate, r.
    Rev: FELICITAS PVBLICA; S C in field; Felicitas stg. l., with caduceus and cornucopiae
    RIC 615 (R). BMC -. BNC 674.
    Acquired from eBay, October 2019. Formerly in NGC holder 5767629-014, with grade 'VF'.

A rare variant of the common Felicitas reverse with a unique obverse legend struck for this one type in this one issue. A die pair match with the BNC plate coin. Missing from the BM's extensive collection.

Felicitas symbolising prosperity and abundance was one of the more common types struck during Vespasian's reign, it was often shared with Titus Caesar.

I think the piece looks much better out of the tomb.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    randygeki, TheRed, Kavax and 30 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I picked up a nice coin too in a slab recently and have noticed they are more prevalent as of late. Fact of the matter is that the slab collectors seem to want MS so there are some good slab buys out there in VF.
    You certainly scored a nice coin David!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice pickup David. That is a very nice portrait.

David Atherton and Inspector43 like this.
  5. Orfew

I agree. I have picked up a few slabbed coins for less than unslabbed coins in other venues. I am quite willing to pick up bargains that do not have the "magic" letters on the slab.

dadams and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Nice! Captivating portrait, too!

David Atherton likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@David Atherton

I hope you are returning the inserts to NGC and/or PCGS. It skews the census numbers if you don't.

Chris

8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I think for most ancient collectors the insert is the only desirable part. It fits right in the coin flip along with any other auction / collector tags you might have as part of the coin’s history.

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I needed that laugh :hilarious:

10. Orfew

I will not speak for David, but for myself I will be keeping the inserts right where they are-alongside of the cracked out coins in my Abafil trays.

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Good job with that hammer! Wonderful coin :)

Love the MC Hammer clip :D

spirityoda, Orfew and David Atherton like this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done, @David Atherton ! Looks great.

LOL, CENSUS??? Sounds like Big Brother.

No, no one is getting census on any of the coins I capture. Leave that crap for the Moderns drinking the Kool-Aid marketing.

Sad thing about those inserts: I never read them because there is no info given, and the ratings are a waste of time.

I only have one Sept Sev:

RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing.jpg
    RI Septimus Severus 193-211 AR Denarius Genius Sacrificing

13. David Atherton

That really isn't a concern of mine. The inserts stay with my records.

14. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

If you bought the coin in the slab, then you bought the insert, too. It's yours, and there's no obligation or reason to return it.

Curtisimo likes this.
  15. David Atherton

I would've preferred 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer', but the faddish nature of 'Hammer Time' suits a slab better. :angelic:

Volodya, Ryro, Orfew and 1 other person like this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Exactly!!! An annoying song for an annoying practice :D

17. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

David, have you ever tried the shop vise method of cracking open the case by applying gradual pressure lengthwise? While wearing safety goggles and gloves of course. I’ve never tried it but I’ve been told it’s effective.

da815fad-09ba-4090-9fb9-77b4bd1761be.jpg._CB333531017_.jpg

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Think what you like. I'm not concerned about the TPG. On the contrary, I'm thinking of the newcomers to collecting Ancients who look for such information that might be contained in a census? Some of you say, that you keep the inserts with your coins. That's all well and good if you're going to live forever. Suppose your heirs could care less, and the inserts get tossed by someone else? That's right! It's not your problem because you're dead.

Chris

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Beginners who come to ancients need to learn that few enough coins are sold in slabs that statistics are nowhere as meaningful as they may be in US where many people pretend raw coins do not exist. I don't expect the ones that will have no coin not slabbed to stay long in the hobby before they start collecting raw or cash in and check out. Today I believe there are more of us who won't look at slabs or crack them immediately than those who are impressed by plastic and census labels. If returning labels in any way helps the concept of slabbing, many of us will never consider doing such a thing.

20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I don't like slabs. Period. Whenever I pick one up I liberate it.

Orielensis, Roman Collector and Orfew like this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Naw. I just do not feel the conventions of the TPGs for Modern coins particularly apply to Ancients. Not worried about the inserts. Like most everyone else in Ancients, we put them with the coins as part of all the provenance info. I am still not drinkin’ the Kool-Aid.

I also believe that the newbies to Ancients are asking Ancients Collectors for advice. Most all of us are suggesting to ditch the plastic tombs, eschew the Modern coin habits, and enjoy collecting as it should be.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Roman Collector and Orfew like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted