Half of a Rare Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TheRed, Sep 27, 2018.

1. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in a previous post on Henry III, he introduced a new type of penny known as the voided long cross penny, in late 1247 to improve the coinage of the realm and replace the old short cross coinage. The need for the new penny was such that regional mints were opened in 1248 and 1249.

One of those regional mints of 1249 was in the city of Carlisle, in north west England. The mint was short lived and by mid 1250 the dies were returned. The production of the Carlisle mint during its year of operation can be gauged by the famous Brussels hoard of 1908. Over 80000 English pennies were discovered. Of these, only 146 were minted in Carlisle. As a comparison, roughly 1000 coins from each of the mints at Oxford, Lincoln, and Winchester were found in the hoard. The Carlisle mint is the rarest mint for Henry III and one I'm always looking for. Recently one cameup for sale at a very cheap price. The reason? It's only half of a coin.
    Carlisle 2.JPG
    Henry III AR Penny Voided Long Cross Type 1249-1250 AD Carlisle mint.
    Obv: [HENRICV]S REX III
    Rev: ION/[ON/CAR/]LEL

Cutting pennies was a common practice for making change. Thankfully someone decided to use this penny. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be able to afford a Carlisle penny of Henry III.

Let's see those coins, rarities or otherwise, that have been cut, stamped, or holed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Commodus denarius

Obv:– M COMM ANTO - N AVG PIVS BRIT, Laureate head right
    Rev:- LIR AVG R M TR P - XVII COS VII P P, Libertas standing left folding pileus and sceptre
    Minted in Alexandria. A.D. 192
    Reference:– BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -.

3.44g. 17.52 mm. 0 degrees

[​IMG]

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Half a penny is better than no penny, and you've got the best half (showing his portrait.)

I got my Caesar for less than $1000. The banker's mark helped bring down that price.

Julius Caesar.jpg

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

In the early days of my interest in the coins of Septimius Severus I discovered the legionary series issued to honor the legions that supported Septimius from the very beginning in his bid for the purple. Legion XIIII was commanded by Septimius before the death of Commodus and got an extended issue for some months in 193 AD. The other legions got a small issue at the beginning but the total of which is less than those for XIIII. At a coin show in 1987 in New Carrolton, Maryland, I bought my first legionary coin. It was $10 which was a bit high in my mind for a coin that was holed, cracked and encrusted. The legion number was off flan but the letters PRI at the right were clear making it, without doubt, LEG XXII PRI. I was told that this was the most rare of all the Septimius Legions and, further, that there were only half a dozen known to exist. That last statistic was not true. I now have five including two that are die duplicates of that first coin so I really do not 'need' it anymore. I will never sell it. It was my first.
    ri3900bb0035.jpg

Quant.Geek, Nerva, randygeki and 14 others like this.
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Interesting and rare half penny.

Nothing to compare raritywise, Nemausus dupondii were often halved. This one is nice in that it has one full portrait (Augustus) and an almost full crocodile

[​IMG]
    Augustus & Agrippa, AE halved dupondius - Nemausus, after 10 BC
    3rd type
    [IM]P [DI]VI F , Laureate head of Augustus right
    [COL NEM], Crocodile chained to palm tree
    6.70 gr
    Ref : RCV #1730, Cohen # 10

Q

7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Nice catch @TheRed I do not think I have seen a Carlisle penny for Henry III.

Mine was purchased at a show. It is holed but the price was right so I bought it.

William I silver penny, PAX Issue, Spink 1257, obverse reads:- +PILLELM REX [`MR` ligulate], reverse reads:- +EDRIC ON LUND
    Ex: Ancient Numismatic Enterprises
    Purchased at the RCNA August 8, 2018 Toronto

william penny small.jpg

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My favorite holed coin is a denarius of Augustus with the comet honoring DIVUS JULIUS. It is the sort of coin someone might decide to nail to a memorial, coffin or whatever. The special part here is that a part of the iron nail is still in the hole. I only wish the guy with the hammer had stopped hitting it one stroke before he flattened the whole thing.
    rb0850bb1685.jpg

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I've got a Constantine with a hole in it. Two captives with standard between them, helmeted Constantine with a nice crest. Not sure who made the hole or why.

constantine1.jpg

constantine2.jpg

10. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

There is a very small issue issued by Septimius Severus from Laodicea-ad-Mare with all known examples coming from a single obverse die. There are three reverse types known in the issue, all of which are extremely rare. I have all three and had to accept one which is holed...

Obv:– L SEP SEVERVS PER AVG PIV IMP XI PAR P M, laureate head right
    Rev:– SALVTI AVGG, Salus seated left feeding snake coiled around altar
    Eastern mint. A.D. 198
    Reference:– BMCRE page 281 Note, citing RD page 102. RIC 497b corr.

[​IMG]

Rev:– AR AD [T]R P VI COS II P P, Victory walking left, holding wreath in right hand, palm in left
    Reference:– BMCRE page 280 *, citing RD page 105. RIC 494a corr.

[​IMG]

Rev:– AR AD TR P VI / COS II P P, Two captives seated back to back at the foot of a trophy
    Reference:– BMCRE page 280 Sword, citing RD page 105. RIC 494b corr.

[​IMG]

11. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Very nice to obtain a rare mint and often have to take what you can get.

My theory on the type below is that they were purposely broken at the mint possibly because they weighed more than they should have? It was an issue hastily made to pay soldiers in order to combat the Normans, which Alexius lost. Rumored that church silver was melted down to make these. DOC list 2 types of these, complete and broken very similar to mine. The complete ones weigh less than the chipped ones, which leads me to think these were purposely broken. If I remember correctly this was the last of the series with a high silver content before being debased.
    b279-1.jpg
    Alexius I/ Transitional
    AR Histamenon Nomisma
    1081 to 1082 AD
    Obvs: ::KЄRO ΛΛЄϞIω IC XC, Christ bearded and nimbate wearing tunic and kolobion. Holds gospels in left hand
    Revs: ·ΔIMITI ΔϵCΠTH, St. Demetrius standing 3/4 facing presenting labarum to Alexius which holds sword and grasps shaft of labarum.
    27x29mm, 4.17g.
    Thessalonica mint
    Ref: Sear 1904, DOC 4.1
    Note: Sear lists as "Extremely rare", chipped

12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...then that would make it a half pence right?!.. :rolleyes: i see nothing wrong with collecting partial or holed coins me tight (and broke) self.. i just hate coins breaking when i have them:mad:.i believe i only have two holed coins and they are both of hogmouth:woot:...which means they were used as jewelry...:wacky: tiberius denari 001.JPG Otho!! 001.JPG Justinian l leopold 6 kreuzter punic tainit 004.JPG

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great acquisition, @TheRed ! You have the most interesting half! Mine is a beautiful but holy one.

TRAJAN_GIFT.jpg

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I have many broken extremely rare Chinese coins. And I love them all the same because their current state made them affordable.

0741CB34-E9C3-49E4-AEF1-B2C3C0C7E74B.jpeg FA5B5748-4D57-4D96-88DA-BFE6121F7EFB.jpeg 19F4949C-F852-4561-A519-DBF2BAA2B3C3.jpeg A9F93733-3090-4CD6-97D1-355109C88E19.jpeg 373CA408-1ED1-4084-82FE-C8D050837F99.jpeg ADBD2559-DA95-489E-9A80-960DB3796957.jpeg 267A6243-1B1D-44CD-9C52-D63AFE4A8A11.jpeg

15. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

3/4 of a rare denarius of Cassius, chief co-assassin of Julius Caesar, struck shortly before his defeat and death. If complete, this would have cost several thousand dollars.

roman410obv.jpg roman410rev.jpg

Based on the lovely surface toning and "fresh" break surfaces, my gut tells me this was likely a recent, horrible "oops" moment for some hapless collector or dealer who dropped an old collection coin on a hard surface. Always work with a net.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I have several cut coins, but only one is RR silver. This one looked like it saw quite a bit of circulation.
    DSCN0275.JPG
    DSCN0276.JPG

17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I've got a holed token from Nuremberg/Germany, as well as a "double-holed" silver coin from Venice. Sometimes weird coins might be curious and attractive ! Nuremberg    Token.jpg Crusa R 001.jpg Venital St R.jpg

18. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

A favorite from my bottom feeding days on ebay; this one came in a lot of medium grade bronzes. I don't think I could ever part with it due to the cool factor that someone in ancient times decided to turn it into a Romulus & Remus pendant for a necklace or maybe bracelet.

Domitian caesar denarius she wolf holed.jpg

19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

20. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

I picked up this broken lead coin from Sodasa yesterday. These coins don't normally show up at auction and its in a very fragile state, unfortunately.

Sodasa: Anonymous (1st century CE) Pb 1/2 Unit (BMC, p. 190, 136-7)
    Obv: The goddess Lakshmi standing facing, holdng a lotus; Brahmi legend Mahakhatapasa putasa khatapasa Sodasasa around
    Rev: Abhisekha of Lakshmi: the goddess standing facing, watered by an elephant on lotus on either side
    Dim: 17 mm, 4.90 g

[​IMG]

There is another thread where I tried to identify pieces of trachae that either were clipped or literally broken that I obtained a while ago...

Johndakerftw likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted