Half Dollars: How lucky are you?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by jbyers23, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

I just started getting rolls of half dollars today. My first $120 was a bust, but I am going back for more. I seem to have gotten lucky because I found 2 different banks that each get a box every week.

My question is how often should I expect to see silver? How often do you guys find anything?

Thus far my score is 0 out of 240 coins.

-JB

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

I average 2-3 silvers per box of $500. So not that lucky. Depends on the area and how the coins get counted and redistributed to all of the suppliers.
    HOTN

4. Catfish4u

Catfish4u New Member

I have purchased two boxes of halves. The first had 10 40%'ers. The second box had 1 40%'er. I purchased one box of dimes and it was a skunk.

5. TouchOfGrey

TouchOfGrey Member

I have found around $50 face value in 40% silver halves, and about $5 face in 90% silver. All of them have been from loose halves and rolls that banks have here and there. I got my first box of halves today which was a skunk, but plan to continue with boxes as soon as my next one comes in. I have had lots of luck with loose halves though.

6. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I average 3.28 silver halves per box....but I sometimes so on long skunk streaks then a couple of big finds....

7. FmrFiatFollower

FmrFiatFollower Note-orious & Numismatic

I average 5 per box, with my record being 150+ 40% in one box. My second closest was 37 in one box. I have been roll hunting since March of 2011 and have found around 80 troy ounces of silver; around 400 being 40% and another 60 pre-1965 Kennedy halves; A dozen or so were Franklin halves, 3-4 were Walking Liberty halves and one was a 2001 90% proof. I have also found about a dozen gold plated halves - not worth anything really but a nice change of scenery.

I was hopeful when I traveled to southern California this summer I would find a good amount, but out of $10,000 face (20 boxes) I found TWO 40%ers. The majority were marked with a sharpie...That is always the worst feeling when you open up the box and see the obverse marked on most or all of the rolls. I love opening up the box and immediately finding one or two on top that stand out as silvers.

For anyone who is just starting out in roll hunting, if you need any advice on the topic, please let me know. I have done this so aggressively that I have worked out a good system that the bankers are happy with and it will cut down on your time spent ordering, waiting, sorting, returning, re-ordering, etc. Which comes in handy if you're not finding much.

8. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

9. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

You guys that can drop off bags are lucky. I need to find a bank willing to do that for me.

10. Hellofthenorth

Hellofthenorth New Member

For me I usually have to wait about 4 days before I get the money credited to my account, and that is because I always drop off the day before they get their deliveries/pick-ups. I have heard of some who can drop off at a merchant teller for cash in hand. That would be sweet, no such luck here though, I've asked all the branches.
    HOTN

11. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

That would stink having to wait! I have two different banks that I dump at and both I get cash in hand. Since I'm just starting I don't usually have to much more than $500 at a time though.

12. FmrFiatFollower

FmrFiatFollower Note-orious & Numismatic

Hello, Yacorie:

Shoot me a pm with a contact number and we can bounce around ideas. Your system works the same way that mine does, I have just found a few tweaks that make it more enjoyable. I have also found ways of parlaying the silver I find into ASE's, other bullion, even some gold and platinum.

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I've gotten lucky once on these half dollar rolls. I posted my biggest find in the "What's your Greatest Find" thread. And I pick up the occasional 40% here and there.

14. Moonshine

Moonshine ....................

I thought TD was doing that for you.

15. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

Found a 1974-s proof out of the rest of my box I had $250 more and still no silver.

Still 0 for 740 coins.

16. model77

model77 Silver Stacker

no Coin machines in my area. they make me reroll everything and turn in rolls. The good thing is I always walk out cash in hand so I can walk out of a dump bank and go straight into looking for new coin!

17. Wandering Nomad

Wandering Nomad New Member

I'm just starting out and would LOVE some friendly advice!

18. man2004

man2004 Active Member

It's hit or miss in boxes of halves in my area. About half of the boxes are silver skunks. We usually find 1 or 2 40% Kennedy halves in the non-skunk boxes. Our record is 6 total (2 90% and 4 40%). I've noticed that boxes from some branches produce more silver than boxes from other branches. One branch has produced zero silver. It could be random. But, I believe there is a pattern. Perhaps, there is another roll hunter dumping in my area!

Draft saved Draft deleted