Half Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Gouldcx, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Gouldcx

Gouldcx New Member

IMG_20220929_204154.jpg IMG_20220929_204135.jpg IMG_20220929_204113.jpg IMG_20220929_204101.jpg IMG_20220929_204032.jpg IMG_20220929_204010.jpg First time here. Recommended by partner site antiques.com (excellent source of knowledge).
    Wondering how some coins are advertised for so much money yet seem to be worth so little with research.....
    My example is my first post.
    I have the below coin and pop it into Google and its really valuable but some research says otherwise.
    So what's it worth then?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's a normal clad half dollar.
    Circulation wear and tear.

Worth? Half a dollar - 50C o_O

Cazador and Inspector43 like this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

A half dollar.

5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Apart from the one you show there was also a 40% silver proof version, which is worth a little more. In a set of 1/4, 1/2 and 1 dollar in original packaging and COA is probably the best way to have them.

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

7. Gouldcx

Gouldcx New Member

Thanks all. I'm new to this coin stuff and need the education. I suppose if something seems too good to be true it usually is with coins.

Cazador, AdamL, paddyman98 and 3 others like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That is a very wise statement for a new collector to make. @expat nailed it for you. There are coins struck specifically for collectors that are valued much differently than those struck for normal use. And yes, a well worn Bicentennial half is cool and something you don’t see every day. But is a face value coin…. And a great coin to start a collection with…. If coins are something that interest you (they are as addictive as narcotics)…. Then go purchase a Redbook of US coins. They are written such that all collectors old and new can use them to learn about this wonderful hobby…. And think about it. What could possibly be wrong with collecting money!?!

Newbee03 likes this.
  9. Railguy

Railguy Well-Known Member

Don't be scared to ask questions here.its a great place if they can help they will.randy,collecting nut,mountain man,lordmarcovan, clawcoins. Expat.sensible sall.theres some like myself that read posts.lots information here.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You'll get accurate answers to your questions here. You have members that have been collecting for decades as well as a number of experts in their field. Sometimes people can get feisty, but stick with us and you'll learn a lot

-jeffB and expat like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The value of your half dollar is worth fifty cents. It’s a normal circulation issue with a good amount of wear and they minted these for the bicentennial, hence the dual date.

Welcome to CT.

12. GrobTheory

GrobTheory New Member

Does anyone know what the most valuable half dollars are? Like liberty or franklins?

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Your best bet is to pick up a copy of the Whitman Red Book (A Guide Book of United States Coins). It shows relative values of nearly every US coin, based on type, date, and condition. It's not a reliable price list, but it'll give you an idea of which coins are more valuable or less valuable. If you're new to the hobby and/or going through an inherited collection, it's definitely a worthwhile purchase, and probably the best purchase you can make.

14. GrobTheory

GrobTheory New Member

Awesome thank you very much!

Joseph008 and -jeffB like this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Each series has a key and semi key dates. It also depends on condition, grade and mintage. Basically, Franklins are common and therefore inexpensive but a nice one can set you back a little. There are several Liberty Halves that in a low grade are worn over a hundred but a higher grade can cost over a thousand. The same goes with Bust Half Dollars.

As suggested, the R.S. Yeoman Red Book will help you with this. The prices are just a guide but there is a lot of good information in that book.

Welcome to CT.

GrobTheory likes this.
  16. GrobTheory

GrobTheory New Member

Thank you!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

You’re welcome

Draft saved Draft deleted