Half Centavo Filipinas United States of America

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by headlessblade, Feb 15, 2011.

1. headlessblade

headlessblade New Member

value anyone? 1903

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

In that condition (vf to ef), I'd say it's worth about $3. If you're looking for a buyer, I'll offer that.

More info can be found here:
    http://mycoins.co/us-philippines-half-centavo-1903

It's a good find, but not too rare. If you find any dated 1905-1908, that's a totally different ball of wax.

4. headlessblade

headlessblade New Member

yea this coin is in really good shape

5. GeorgeM

There were proofs minted in 1903... I'm not sure if there's an easy way to diagnose them as proofs if they were circulated by mistake. Anyone have an idea on that?

6. ugoing2

ugoing2 New Member

I have both a regular strike (MS65) and a proof (PF65). I have looked into 3 different books and they do not explain the difference... "United States Territorial Coinage for the Philippine Islands" by Neil Shafer (1961), "Coins, Medals, and Tokens of the Philippines" by Aldo P. Basso (1968), and "U.S./Philippine Coins" by Lyman L. Allen (1994).

I'll need to purchase a loupe in order to see if there is any difference. I'll ask around too.

7. ugoing2

ugoing2 New Member

Ray Czahor emailed back. He said "The proof will have a flat rim sometimes what is called a wire rim which is raised at the edge. The design should be more detailed and sharply struck. Field surfaces are very smooth and reflective though if toned may not stand out like a red proof would. By edges I mean the top of the edge, not the edge it self. It maybe tough to see the wire rim but the flatness of the top of the rim should be obvious. Take a raw business strike and compare."

My MS65 coin are encapsulated in an old NGC holder. So, it's hard to view the edges. I'll have to think about upgrading it to the new EdgeView holders.

Here's my PCGS 1903 1/2C PR65RB. I apologize for the photos. I still have just a point & shoot camera.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ugoing2

ugoing2 New Member

9. GeorgeM

Beautiful pics!

I have a MS63RD for comparison:
    IMG_1723.jpg IMG_1726.jpg

10. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

Hi. can anyone please appraise my 1918 5 centavo coin. i got lots of these in different dates and just found out that a 1918 is rare. i posted some pics. Thanks.

100_6273.jpg 100_6275.jpg 100_6288.jpg 100_6289.jpg 100_6295.jpg

11. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Only the 1918-S mule (Lyman 4.08b) is rare. The obverse die of a 20 centavo coin was muled onto a nickel planchet with a 5 centavo reverse die. This rare variety has a noticeably smaller date. Yours is the much more common non-muled variety, Lyman 4.08

12. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

Thanks. But I dont understand: "The obverse die of a 20 centavo coin was muled onto a nickel planchet with a 5 centavo reverse die." Hope i can see an example. i cant seem to find any. but i saw one which is so busted and i cant compare.

13. ozleck77

ozleck77 Member

ok thanks, i just found a good piece (pics) to compare it with. the 1918 sure looks big. thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted