Half Cent Bluesheet Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Fish, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

Since I can't come anywhere near justifying a subscription to the grey/bluesheets, I was wondering if I could trouble someone here that does have access to drop me in some current bluesheet bid/ask for half cents. I'm looking at possibly working on my collection and am trying to decide where I want to start and how far I can manage to go. I'll list dates and grades, and if someone could just populate the bid/asks that'd be great.

I've left off any proof-only dates, as well as 1831 where there were so few business strikes that even fairly well worn they're way outside my budget, and the keys. For 1804, assume I mean crosslet 4 with stems please. For all others, assume I mean the normal or least expensive variety please.

Much obliged,

Fish

Date Grade Bid Ask

1857 MS63B
    1856 MS63B
    1855 MS63B
    1854 MS63B
    1853 MS63B
    1851 MS63B
    1835 MS63B
    1834 MS63B
    1833 MS63B
    1832 MS63B
    1829 MS60B
    1826 MS60B
    1825 MS60B
    1810 AU50
    1809 AU50
    1806 EF40
    1805 EF40
    1804 EF40
    1803 EF40
    1800 EF40
    1797 VG8
    1795 VG8
    1794 VG8

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Sorry - having a problem with my reply , computer glitch on my side.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No reason to get a subscription Fish, you can buy individual copies from last month for under $3.00 and download them right onto your computer.

5. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

Yeah, but since I'm only looking for a very, very limited subset of the full bluesheet, I'm trying to avoid shelling out the $3.

Fish

6. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

With the coins in the grade your looking for , Id say $3 would be a drop in the bucket to be well informed if your serious.

7. GDJMSP

OK, then sign up for Heritage and check the completed auctions. The prices are as accurate or more so than the Blue or Green Sheets - and it's free ;)

8. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Somehow I dont think I understand this. 3 bucks to be sure that your getting a fair deal on over 10 grand in coins and its too much? Splurge my friend and buy the page you need. You miss by one grade of any of these coins you listed and watch how little 3 bucks really is. I would also recommend the following:

American Half Cents - The 'Little Half Sisters' (Second Edition)" by Roger S. Cohen, Jr.

"Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of United States Half Cents 1793-1857" by Walter Breen

Unless of course you are proficient already in the Half Cent.. (which I am not)

Just my opinion.

Jim

9. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

(edited to fix spacing, Pocket IE doesn't like the editor)
    I am somewhat familiar with half-cents already, considerably more than the average collector that doesn't specialize in htem I would guess. And I have Breen's half cent book already. Also, I would avoid Cohen's book as it is superceded by Manley's.

This isn't a matter of not wanting to spend $3 before I spend $10,000. I don't have the ten grand to spend. Think of it more as strategizing and planning prior to undertaking a significant venture - because contemplating attempting to complete any series is non-trivial and should be undertaken only after fully weighing the facts.

I chose the grades I did for a reason, namely that they are the grades I think I would be most readily able to afford. That's analogous to the reason I left off the keys and proof-only issues: I stand little chance of affording them any time soon, especially considering for what I would most likely end up spending to pick up a well-worn but probem-free 1796 I could pick up most likely every other coin I have listed (with the possible exception of the 1810 where I fear conditional rarity may end up biting me in the arse).

Thanks,

Fish

10. samjimmy

samjimmy New Member

And you don't think $3 should be part of... "strategizing and planning prior to undertaking a significant venture - because contemplating attempting to complete any series is non-trivial and should be undertaken only after fully weighing the facts" ???

11. Fish

Fish Half Cent Nut

I'm not saying I think $3 is an unreasonable expenditure. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with buying a copy for $3. What I'm trying to do is get the very, very, very, VERY small piece of information I'm looking for without having to sign up for their site, give them my credit card details, and pay them $3. Why? Because what I'm looking for is a ridiculously small subset of the information contained in a single issue, the vast majority of which I do not need. Because according to http://www.greysheet.com/cdn/BlueCovered.asp the grades under MS60 aren't covered in the bluesheet at all apparantly, so I might actually need a greysheet as well, doubling my expenditure. And because there's a good deal of hassle involved there. Not unlike what I'm seeing here.

My assumption, perhaps flawed, was that not only would someone that frequents this board have a recent issue of the bluesheet but that out of that group of people that have a recent copy one wouldn't mind throwing some numbers my way.

Thanks,

Fish

12. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Ya know---I don't care either way but I would doubt that even if someone wanted to post the prices they could---they might get sued for posting copyrighted info.
    I agree with Doug---if you don't want to spend the $3 then go to Heritage---they are better than the Gray Sheet anyway...and its free and you don't have to put in credit card info.

Speedy

13. GDJMSP

I think the problem is - nobody has it - or you would have an answer by now.

Draft saved Draft deleted