Half a Medieval silver hammered penny

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by clanger, Jul 28, 2020.

1. clanger

clanger Well-Known Member

This short cross looks to be slightly double struck, either the moneyer had had one to many or I have! It also looks like someone was trying to cut it along the cross with a knife to make a quarter penny, hope they didn't cut their fingers off! All I can say is that it's London mint, but again, which king ? It's been driving me bonkers, looking for the little differences to pin down the man ! All help much appreciated as always. obverse of cut penny.JPG reverse of cut penny.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

It's very definitely a later, long cross issue of Henry III. Regarding the particular class, I'm out of my league, especially without the moneyer's name.
    I think it adds a dimension of coolness that someone started to make farthings, and thought better of it!

4. +VGO.DVCKS

...And the coiner might just have been hungover....

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

6. clanger

Cheers for this! My thoughts are that it slipped out of his fingers when he was trying to cut it.:arghh:

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. clanger

Thank you for web site, always good to know, I'll peruse it!

8. clanger

Well Clanger certainly was! I definately dropped a clanger, of course it wasn't a short cross! Dum de dum de dum:wacky:

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  9. +VGO.DVCKS

Heck, since you're stuck in guess mode anyway, it just could have been a particular transaction, in which the buyer said, "...Y'know what? I'll have two of those."

10. +VGO.DVCKS

...Now ask me to say anything remotely intelligent about anything post-Stuart....

11. clanger

Draft saved Draft deleted