Hairlines on XF graded coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by treylxapi47, Jul 5, 2013.

1. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I have several coins in the XF graded range and have noticed some hairlines on about 3-4 of them. I've noticed most of these are older coins and typically ones you would expect to be real expensive in AU-MS grades. (I'm talking about barber halves, bust quarters, twenty cents, etc)

In general when you have an XF-40 coin, are hairlines acceptable per the grading standards? And are they a natural occurrence (as in are these coins exhibiting hairlines from wear versus cleaning). My gut feeling is these coins have all had a nice early, fairly gentle cleaning, but then again it could be from just normal wear I suppose.

I'm just looking for some information on the acceptable grading standards for that particular range of grades in the XF area.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I think that an XF coin showing hairlines would still be considered to be "cleaning." Theoretically, the fields would be protected from hairlines unless the pressure was intentionally applied to those areas.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, absolutely.

Again, yes, they certainly can be and often are from natural occurrences and not harsh cleaning.

Of course hairlines do come from harsh cleaning as well. But hairlines from harsh cleaning are almost always way different from those that occur from natural causes like album slides, flips, normal wear & tear, etc.

Hair lines from harsh cleaning are typically seen in patches and sometimes over the entire coin. Whereas hairlines from natural occurrences you will usually only see 2, 3, or 4 in a specific area, but at the same time there may be more than 1 area that has them.

And when it comes to some coins the TPG's are much more lenient about hairlines than they are with other coins. In other words, a scarce Barber half that has obvious hairlines will be graded & slabbed. But if those exact same hairlines were on a Walker or a Frankie the coin would be put in problem slab. The rules are never, ever, applied to coins equally.

You have to know all of this and understand all of it, about all different kinds of coins when you look at them to evaluate whether or not you want to buy them, and whether or not they are worth the price.

5. GDJMSP

Not so at all.

6. NorthKorea

How would the fields get hairlines without the incuse image or lettering get hairlines, as well?

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Any type of handling in circulation can impart hairlines onto the raised surfaces or the flat fields of a coin. Therefore, without seeing the coins in question, it does not surprise me that a certified EF40 can have hairlines.

8. treylxapi47

9. treylxapi47

10. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

I see the hairlines on the barber half, but it seems more prevalent from cheek to the right. It does look natural to me and not like a harsh cleaning.

11. treylxapi47

I don't think any of them are going to show up as a 'harsh' cleaning. I would think a 'light' cleaning if anything. I wasn't sure if hairlines on this grade were a sure fire indication of cleaning or if they were natural wear marks and therefore acceptable.

Either way I am happy with the coin, I am just trying to learn a little more about them and what I've noticed. Basically if I ever sell them I would like to be forthcoming of suspecting an old cleaning if that's what it was.

The other reason I suspected an old cleaning is the toning on all three of those coins. They all look like they were cleaned and then naturally retoned or something.

12. treylxapi47

I think this one shows some more detail. Look at the reverse under the stars and above unum. Also look at the front on the right field and the trunk of the neck.

To my eyes that's a lot of lines and just what I thought was a possible cleaning.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373073111.583053.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373073125.283860.jpg

I know it's hard to see in the capped quarter and twenty center but that's basically what I am talking about is what you can see on the barber half.

Is it genuine wear or leniency from the TPG-ers because of the coin being 'tough'?

13. treylxapi47

This barber half is also a good example of what I think has been cleaned and retoned to sort of mask that cleaned look.

I know I'm being critical of my coin, and I still love it and 'respect' the problem free slabs, just trying to learn a little.

14. A coin of this age would always show signs of wear from being inside ones pocket.

My dad was a farmer and almost always carried his change inside his pocket along with a tap and washers for a bolt should one have gotton lost from his mule pulled plow.
    Can you picture how many times the taps and washers clashed togeather with the coins from one days plowing.
    Sometimes the coins that are pictured here makes me wonder where in the world they were kept and if people in that day and time would guard a coin as some do today.
    That coin even being just a 25 cent coin was valueble in trade as it was close to what 5 dollars would be in todays money.
    Very few if any could hang on to these for collector items.
    My dad only saw a hundred dollar bill when the crops were sold and most of the time 3/4 of that was owed to the bank as they loan him money to plant and get the crop to market for sale.
    I do know the story about the morgan silver dollars and why most have a high grade but what about the other older coins that were used mostly in everyday transactions how did so many of them i see posted here have minor wear and carry such high preiums?

15. GDJMSP

I think you meant to say raised image or lettering. Anyway, there are any number of ways it could happen accidentally as opposed to intentionally as you stated above. In somebody's pocket, in a cash register, a coin bag, on a merchants counter, a finger, an album slide, a flip, a 2x2 staple, the list and possibilities are endless.

The raised areas and rims of a coin only protect the fields from flat, even objects. Anything that is smaller than the diameter of the coin can touch the fields during the course of circulation without ever touching the raised areas or rims and leave behind hairlines.

16. NorthKorea

Indeed, that's what I meant. :D

17. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Both coins have received an inappropriate dipping that has not only imparted the color onto them, but also likely highlights any hairlines on each coin.

18. treylxapi47

How about this coin?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373167027.614947.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373167042.014378.jpg

It's in an AU-55 holder. That looks cleaned to me, right?

19. GDJMSP

I would certainly say it does.

20. treylxapi47

I'm seeing the lines across the cheek, on the trunk of the neck, under and to the left of AMERICA, and on the reverse most notably above and below ONE DIME.

is that where you noticed it at too Doug?

21. GDJMSP

Yeah. But it's the obv of that coin that decides the question for me.

What I mean by that is this. If the obv of that coin had no readily visible hairlines all over the devices, and the only hairlines you could readily see were those on the rev, then I would not classify that coin as having been harshly cleaned.

The hairlines on the rev of that coin are what you might expect to see as a result of rough handling and/or light circulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted