Hairline scratch -- Still MS63?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by benveniste, Oct 30, 2012.

1. benveniste

benveniste Type Type

Take a look at the scratch running from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock on this coin. Do you believe this type of scratch would disqualify this coin from being an MS63 according to a) technical grading, and/or b) current market grading?

1901over0s-5$Obv.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

That's a border line one. The scratch is long and can be distracting, but it is not in a prime focal area. I think it could still be 63, but a bothersome 63.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Are you sure it's a scratch (incuse) and not a strikethrough (excuse)?

To answer your question directly, I don't see that scratch (provided it is a scratch) being a disqualifier for MS 63. That said, along with the scratch and the amount of chatter on high points and in the fields, I don't like this coin in a 63 slab, personally. Looks more like a 62 to me.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Is it a hairline scratch or possibly a staple scratch? A hairline scratch might get a pass, a staple scratch will get details for damage.

6. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Details grade on that staple scratched coin. The separate part of the scratch above star five is a killer.
    Says it probably happened coming out of a 2x2.

7. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

Well the grade is for the whole coin (although a severe scratch can lower a grade by a point or 2) I see a decently struck coin with good luster but many nicks etc. MS-63? Maybe, but a low end 63

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think the word you're looking for is "relief". :)

Also, aren't (non-retained) strikethroughs more typically incuse as well? Something gets pressed into the coin's surface, then falls away?

9. lonegunlawyer

I think you are right, like a strand of steel wool or the like.

10. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Very few strike through are perfectly straight lines scratches are.

11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I agree with the MS-62 grade. Much too much chatter for MS-63, but the scratch shouldn't keep it form being graded.

12. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

I got a PCGS PR69DCAM $1 Ike with a similar looking scratch under eagle's wing. Not even close to be knowledgable in TPG grading issues, just stating a fact.

13. lonegunlawyer

I was agreeing with the poster's definition, not that the scratch was a strike through.

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

A scratch is a scratch...I've seen them bag a LOT of coins for less than that.

15. lonegunlawyer

I don't think they body bag them anymore. If it genuine, but ungradable, they would still slab as genuine and something like "unc details" without a number grade.

16. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

A details slab is still a body bag, it just hurts a little less.

17. lonegunlawyer

Just like putting the lame old dog to sleep instead of taking it out back with the .22.

18. -jeffB

But it does at least vouch for authenticity, right? Particularly for pre-1933 gold, I'd certainly bid more confidently on a details-slabbed coin than a raw one.

19. lonegunlawyer

That is a good point, especially in light of the other thread (1853 $3 gold piece?). But then again, TPG's have been wrong.

20. -jeffB

Sure, but I'm confident that the proportion of counterfeits in slabs is a lot lower than the proportion of counterfeit raw coins.

21. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

This is the main reason I long ago made a personal rule that any time I put two $100 bills on the table the coin was slabbed.
    This rule is for coins I buy and cannot hold in my hand before purchase.

Draft saved Draft deleted