Haile Selassie Presentation Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Wizank, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Found this in my Dad's bag of coins, almost missed it due to the small size. Most interesting one because of the source, the fact it is a mule (combination of two other coins) and the gold content is about 80%. IMG_3207.jpg IMG_3208.jpg IMG_3207.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I would love to hear what two coins you believe this to be a mule of, and how you know its 80% gold?

4. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Obverse pattern for the silver 1/8 Birr and the reverse die for the Menelik 1/32 Birr.
    Took it to a dealer who told me the gold percentage.

5. Seattlite86

I'll take your word on it I can barely make anything out on account from the glare in the photos and the fact that they're posted sideways...

6. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Still new at this. Sorry.

7. Seattlite86

No worries; I'm glad you're sharing. I just worry about you being new to this and making claims of owning a gold, muled coin. I'm very much happy for you if you are correct :)

8. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Do you believe there is any value for me to have this NGC certified?

9. Seattlite86

What are the diameter and weight of this coin? What was the method of gold detection for the coin? This coin doesn't match any of the coins I'm familiar with from Ethiopia... Can you help guide me to the two coins you believe are muled?
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/ethiopie-1.html

10. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

The coin is in my safe deposit along with my Mexican 50 Peso gold. Here is a link to a writeup coin - https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=1808&lot=30514
    Also coinarchives.com lot ID3720986

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

I believe it would be a good idea to have a coin like this certified by NGC.

Draft saved Draft deleted