Hadrian's travel coinage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by slynop, May 1, 2018.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I am sorry, I have nary an Hadrian Traveling Series. However, EVERYtime folks post them, I think of this:

Here is a worn Quinarius of him:
    RI Hadrian 117-138 AR Quinarius Victory holding palm.jpg
    RI Hadrian 117-138 AR Quinarius Victory holding palm

TIF, Curtisimo, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O i love that song!!...don't feel lonely, i have several coins of him but i don't know if any are of the "travel series"..imma go lQQk! :)

Alegandron likes this.
  4. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

This is truly an excellent example of this type, and I'm glad it ended up in AJ's collection.

I was the underbidder on this coin at Heritage's March 2017 auction; my dealer had already bid one increment higher than my budget on this coin, and so we let it go. I hadn't anticipated that prices would be this strong, and to this day wonder if I should have increased my budget. But who knows if the winner would have kept going higher too?

Blake Davis and Trebellianus like this.
  5. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

For those who are interested in weird cults there is a modern cult of worship of Antinous in California - he is worshipped as the "gay god"

6. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

He had ants in his pants... :eek:
    FtL.jpg

tibor, Curtisimo, TIF and 4 others like this.
  7. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

Hadrian was in Britain? I don't recall ever reading that - the "restless emperor" indeed!

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

What is Hadrian's "travel series"?

I only have one coin of Hadrian. The Alexandria coin is the size & heft of a US silver dollar. It depicts Hadrian drawn by a quad of elephants. Maybe not a "travel series" but how cool is that?
    Roman Elephant Quad Collage.jpg
    ROMAN EGYPT
    ALEXANDRIA
    Hadrian
    AE Drachm
    117-138 A.D.

27.00 grams, 34 mm.
    Obv: Laur. Dr. Cuirassed bust right
    AYT.KAI (Hadrian).APIC.CEB
    Rev: Hadrian in quadriga of elephants
    right. LENΔE.KATOV
    Grade: Fine light chocolate brown color
    Other: Sear 1175 (pg 151) B.M.C.G.860
    Milne 1216var., Koln 967var.
    On the obverse legend:
    AYT= AVTOKPATOP = Emperor
    KAI= KAICAP = Caesar
    APIC.CEB = Optimus Augustus
    Ex John Jencek of San MateoCalif., From Eye Appealing Coins 11/2013.

Here's an acoustic Africa for our friend Alegandron

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Broucheion, tibor, TIF and 6 others like this.
  9. slynop

slynop Well-Known Member

Very interesting map.

And without plane, car or train !

RAGNAROK likes this.
  10. slynop

slynop Well-Known Member

Don't be sorry, it's a good song :)

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Yep, and he built a wall overthere ;)

on their way:

P1180398.JPG

Sabina with one of her funny hair stephane's and Hadrian ?

P1180398detailv.jpg

back to Rome:
    sestertius.jpg

tibor, TIF, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  12. RAGNAROK

Aye, no GPS and only with a full equip army, slaves, money, a lover... poor Hadrian... :D

slynop likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, I am trying to figger out that dotted line across the Med from Spain to Syria... He certainly did not take a BOAT through Spain or through Syria... so it has to be proof that he had his own Jet... Yeah, I keep getting more and more proof of the Roman Air Force! :D

RI Mariniana AR Ant 253-254 CE Crescent - On Peacock flying 21.2mm 3.1g RIC VII 6 Rome.JPG
    RI Mariniana AR Ant 253-254 CE Crescent - On Peacock flying 21.2mm 3.1g RIC VII 6 Rome

Ryro, tibor, TIF and 4 others like this.
  14. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Indeed. And I have a small piece of that wall (dont judge me, it was collected long before it was a protected World Heritage Site). I also have a piece of the Great Wall in China, and of course who doesn't have the Berlin Wall?

IMG_3535.jpg

15. RAGNAROK

:cigar:
    homerome.jpg

Curtisimo, Andres2 and Alegandron like this.
  16. larssten

larssten Well-Known Member

Old thread...but guess I can add a specimen from the so-called Travel Series too.

OMG 17 lot 1153.jpg

Hadrian 117-138, AE sestertius, Rome 131 AD, HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS, laureate bust left, draped far shoulder / FELICITATI AVG S-C, galley with oarsmen & pilot going left, COS III P P in exergue. S.3596. Cohen 666. RIC.706.

Like this coin a lot wishing Hadrian good luck on his journeys, although I guess it was minted after he was done travellig.

17. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Theoretically part of the series. I guess he does have to pass through here to get to the rest. Or is this an example of "show me the love"?
    Hadrian Ar Denarius 136 AD Obv Head right bare Rv Italia standing left RIC 307a RIC II/3 1544 3.08 grams 18 mm Photo by W. Hansen hadriand18.JPG

18. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

An interesting old thread from before I joined Coin Talk, even though I'm pretty sure we've had some on the same subject since then. It never occurred to me that the Hadrian coins with galleys were considered part of the "Travel Series."

Even though I've posted them both before, I suppose there's never too much of a good thing, so here are my two: Egypt, and the return to Rome. I hope to acquire more in the future, but they're not offered that commonly, and when they are the nice ones are much more expensive than the ordinary coins of Hadrian.

Hadrian-Aegyptos - new combined photo.png

Hadrian Adventus Roma jpg version.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted