Hadrian, securing the transition of power

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Aug 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hadrian Denarius Roma 130-38 AD Providentia standing
    Reference.
    RIC II, 262a; RIC III, 2320; Strack 257

Bust A1+

Obv. HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P.
    Bare head

Rev. PROVIDENTIA AVG.
    Providentia standing left against column, pointing to globe, (with zodiac belts) by feet, and holding sceptre

3.20 gr
    18 mm
    6h
    254Hadrian .RIC262a.jpg

singig, octavius, Sulla80 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thanks, Okidoki, I had not recognized the zodiac belts on this coin! and missed the link with this coin. My Providentia a variant with PRO AVG and a much smaller globe "with zodiac belts". Looking at other examples in RIC online, your coin seems quite exceptional with that shield-like globe with clear stripes. Your coin also from the time after Hadrian accepted the senate's offer of the title "Pater Patriae" (AD 128-129) after an 11 year demonstration of modesty.
    Hadrian PRO AVG Providentia.jpg
    Hadrian, AD 117-138, AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck circa AD 121-123
    Obv: Laureate and draped bust right
    Rev: Providentia standing facing, head left, holding scepter; globe to left at feet with zodiac belts
    Ref: Reference for this one is a bit tricky as the numbers have changed and descriptions not right on RIC Online. In my 1989 reprint of RIC this is called 133a (head laureate right), both 133a examples at ANS are incorrectly shown with column (134), at RIC Online Type 560 seems to be right, but the examples are mixed so perhaps 556-661 is the safe reference without the book.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    singig, octavius, DonnaML and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted