Hadrian - Restitutori Orbis Terrarvm - to The Restorer of the World

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

A particular cherished coin in my collection and a recent purchase. This sestertius of Hadrianus is associated with the emperor's extensive 20-year travels through the empire, and symbolizes Hadrian's reign as the beginning of a new golden age for Rome.

Hadrian issued a series of coins with similar legends, including those for Africa, Achaea, Arabia, Asia, Bythinia, Gallia, Hispania, Italia, Libya and Macedonia.
    In this sestertius the emperor stands togate, his right hand extended toward a kneeling figure who wears a crown and a cloak flowing out behind. The figure holds a globe and reaches up towards the emperor, their hands touching.

I particularly liked the large, idealized portrait of Hadrian on this coin. It was part of a travel-series collection formed by an acquaintance, and I was very happy he kindly agreed to let it go. From one generation of collectors to the next.

Please post any of your coins of Hadrian associated with his travels through the empire.

Hadrian
    . AD 117-138. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. Struck AD 119-122.
    Obv: Laureate head right. IMP. CAESAR TRAIANVS HADRIANVS AVG. P. M. TR. P. COS. III.
    Rev: RESTITVTORI ORBIS TERRARVM, Hadrian, togate, standing left, holding volumen and extending hand to raise up kneeling female figure wearing a turreted crown and holding a globe.
    RIC II 594.

Hadrian Sestertius Restitutori-Obv - 1.jpg Hadrian Sestertius Restitutori-Rev - 1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a great portrait!!

Hadrian's coins are so diverse, historic, and artistic. It's easy to see why @Okidoki specializes in him.

Rather than show my two travel denarii (middle-of-the-road examples of the most common ones), here's a drachm from Egypt. It commemorates his visit to Alexandria in 130 AD. His beloved companion, Antinous, drowned in the Nile on this trip.

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian
    year 15, 130/131 AD
    Æ Drachm, 35 mm, 24.8 gm
    Obv: AVT KAI TPAI ADPIA CEB; laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
    Rev: Hadrian standing left, togate, holding sceptre, greeted by Alexandria, clad in elephant's skin headdress, chiton, and peplos, holding two grain ears in her left hand, and kissing Hadrian's extended right hand; L-IE (date) below.
    Ref: Emmett 964.15

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you very much for posting your great example, TIF!
    It has a very evocative and well detailed reverse.

Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  5. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

excellent OP here is my Arabia
    398Hadrian RIC943var..jpg

6. Okidoki

@TIF that is the best specimen i have seen :D

TIF likes this.
  7. Okidoki

small correction Edward
    bust = Laureate, draped bust right

corr.
    Laureate head right, drapery on left shoulder

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lovely coin!

No Hadrian traveling coins for me. I do have a restitution coin of Gallienus, though:

Gallienus RESTITVT ORIENTIS sunlight.jpg
    Gallienus, AD 253-268
    Roman Billon Antoninianus
    Uncertain eastern mint, AD 255-256
    4.40 g; 23.5 mm
    Obv: IMP C P LIC GALLIENVS AVG, radiate and draped bust, right
    Rev: RESTITVT ORIENTIS, Tyche, left, presenting wreath to emperor, right, who holds spear in right.
    Refs: RIC 448; RSC 902; Cohen 903

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Great coin from a great series. My as is Africa.
    rc1960bb2291.jpg

dlhill132, Puckles, Bing and 18 others like this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wow, that's an impressively bull-necked portrait, Eduard. Very nice coin! The one on my only sestertius of Hadrian is pencil-necked in comparison.

Hadrian - Sestertius Hilaritas 1114.jpg
    HADRIAN
    AE Sestertius. 20.76g, 33mm, Rome mint, AD 128-132. RIC II 970c. O: [HA]DRIANVS AVGVST[VS P P], laureate bust right, draped on left shoulder. R: H[ILARITAS P] R, Hilaritas standing left, holding long palm branch upright in right hand and cornucopiae in left; at her feet, on left, a small naked boy standing right, touching palm; on right, a small girl standing left, touching dress of Hilaritas; COS III in exergue, S - C in field.

I have a number of denarii from his Travel series; this one with Egypt being my favorite.
    Lot - Hadrian Aegyptos.jpg HADRIAN
    AR Denarius. 3.27g, 19.1mm. Rome mint, AD 134-138. RIC II Hadrian 297a. O: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, bare head right. R: AEGYPTOS, Aegyptos, lotus on head, reclining left, holding up sistrum in right hand and resting left arm on basket; ibis before her.

dlhill132, Puckles, Bing and 17 others like this.
  12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you Oki, for showing us you Arabia. Very scarce it seems with bust LEFT.

Roman Collector, I love you restitution issue for Gallienus. Thank you for posting it.

Doug, lovely Africa as, with beautiful patina. Thank you for showing it.

Zumbly, two great coins. I understand the 'slim' portraits (for lack of a better word) are from early in Hadrian's reign (?). The Aegyptos denarius also has a lot of character!

13. Okidoki

952 Hadrian Sestertius Roma 134-38 AD HISPANIAE
    499Hadrian RIC952.jpg

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

What a wonderful coin @Eduard !!! And so many terrific examples of the 'travel series'

I have none to share :(....though not for lack of trying.

gregarious and Eduard like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Eduard great sesterius, and bull-neck on the Hadrian... very cool!

Eduard likes this.
  16. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice Hadrian coins. Always like to look at those sestertius coins.

Eduard and Andres2 like this.
  17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

dang, that's a beauty eduard!

Eduard likes this.
  18. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Excellent portrait and great coin Eduard, I don't have any coins of his travel series unfortunately, it is a field I need to get into
    best I can do is a sestertius of the galley he travelled in, Rome 132-4 AD, 26.18gm, 33.5mm, RIC 706. 2015-01-07 01.08.08-8.jpg

dlhill132, Puckles, icerain and 14 others like this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

What a great addition!

20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you for posting your galley, Ancient Aussie. A relatively scarce type with left-facing bust. Very nice!

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  21. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Mikey Zee, Alegandron, icerain, chrsmat71, thank you all for your comments:).

Okidoki, that is a superb specimen of a HISPANIAE sestertius!

Alegandron and Okidoki like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted