Hadrian, Cistophorus Caria, Mylasa 128 AD Zeus Karios standing

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Okidoki, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Reference. very rare
    RPC 3, 1380, (this coin plate 59)Metcalf Type 42, BM-1063, C-274 (citing BM, 100 Fr.), RIC-495 (R2). Pinder 51.
    http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/1380/

Obv. HADRIANVS - AVGVSTVS P P
    Head bare right.

Rev. COS - III
    Zeus Karios standing front, holding spear and shield, both of which rest on ground; in front of the shield an eagle on a curving pedestal.

10.50 gr
    mm
    h

Ex HJB 2016, Gemini III, 29 Jan. 2007, lot 373; CNG 70, 21 Sep. 2005, lot 995
    Note.
    Unusual image of a local Carian form of Zeus, which appears nowhere else in ancient coinage or ancient art. Very rare: only two specimens known to Metcalf. Our coin shares its obverse die with Metcalf's specimen 192, but is from a new reverse die. Apparently overstruck on a PAX cistophorus of Augustus, RPC-2203: the AX of PAX and the outline of Pax's lower body is faintly visible in reverse left field to the right of the C of COS, and above Zeus' head we can probably make out a leaf and two berries from the wreath encircling the original reverse type. The curious triangular indentation at 5 o'clock on obverse edge may be the lower corner of an IMP VES AVG countermark that had been applied to the cistophorus of Augustus and that was largely filled in when the coin was restruck for Hadrian.

post your Cistophorus
    568 P Hadrian RIC495.jpg

Eng, Alegandron, Ancientnoob and 19 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Another fantastic addition, Oki! Did you buy that book on Hadrian cistophorii? Is that driving your acquisition of these coins?

Okidoki likes this.
  4. Okidoki

Thank you TIF,
    i did buy Metcalf yes, i want to collect all of his coins which is crazy of course.
    i left out his AU coins from the start of collecting Hadrian.

it's a fascinating Emperor

zumbly and TIF like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

+1

Crazy? It looks like you have a very good start on it.

Jwt708, Mikey Zee and Okidoki like this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The same thing happened to me when I bought Emmett's book on Alexandrian coins. I'd better be careful about which books I buy :D.

7. Okidoki

indeed some kilos already
    a-new-kilo_2-kilo.jpg

RPC 3
    Banti
    Metcalf
    Emmett
    Strack

TIF likes this.
  8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Extraordinary coin!

I love your goal of wanting to acquire every coin of Hadrian (sans gold). There is something maniacally compulsive about that I can sympathise with.

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Impressive new acquisition, Oki. If I could only collect one emperor, it would be a hard tussle between Antoninus Pius and Hadrian.

TIF, stevex6 and Okidoki like this.
  10. Okidoki

yup you are right i guess, the guys traveled the world :D

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great stuff, Eric.

Okidoki likes this.
  12. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have only ever owned one Cistophoric tetradrachm of Hadrian. I parted with it a couple of years ago.

Hadrian Cistophoric tetradrachm

Obv:- HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS P P, Bare-headed, draped bust right
    Rev:- COS III, Minerva, helmeted, standing l., holding patera and spear; at her side, shield.
    References:- Cohen 294. BMC 1071. RIC 503. Metclaf 395.
    Minted in uncertain mint in Asia circa A.D. 138

Appears to be overstruck on a Mark Antony and Octavia AR Cistophorus. The remains of the legend M • ANTONIVS • IMP • COS • DESIG • ITER • ET TERT can be seen on the reverse with the M starting at 9 o'clock

[​IMG]

Eng, Alegandron, dlhill132 and 8 others like this.
  13. Okidoki

Thank you, Martin,
    i love it, its one of the best preserved remains of overstruck i know from hadrian.
    btw any Cistophoric is welcome in this tread.

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Just wonderful OKi....a gorgeous coin!!!

......and Martin's is a fascinating example as well (wherever it is now)....

Okidoki likes this.
  15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Great new addition @Okidoki ! I can relate to the desire to complete a "catalog." I have the same desire but it's for non-ancients. It will never happen for me, even if I had a ton of money. Too many lost to war.

Okidoki likes this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Gawd Oki, it's taken me 30 minutes to figure-out what a cistophorus coin is all about (and I still don't really understand because none of your coins are showing baskets?!)
    Mysia – PERGAMON,
    Cistophoric Tetradrachm

123 - 104 BC
    Diameter: 27 mm
    Weight: 12.4 grams
    Obverse: Cista mystica within ivy wreath
    Reverse: two serpents entwined around bowcase; BO above

Mysia Pergamon.jpg

Ummm, I'm assuming that this baby doesn't quite fit perfectly into your thread (it's not a Hadrian), but I also figured that there was no harm in trying, right?

cheers, bro (oh, and please try to teach me something, okay) ... thanks

emoticon cheers too.gif

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Okidoki, dlhill132, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  17. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

You can think of the OP coin as a 'descendant' of yours. Same denomination from the same general area (Asia), but different design and regime.

Cistophori were silver tetradrachms already in use in Attalid Pergamon when the Romans inherited the kingdom from the last king. Your coin is from the decades following that event, when the same design was kept.

Eventually, the designs changed, and many different mints were used to strike them, but the denomination stayed the same, so we refer to those as cistophori as well. I think Bing has one with Mark Antony's portrait on the obverse and cista on the reverse. Hadrian was the last emperor to strike cistophori.

Apart from this, I know that they're nice, big, silver, and I want some :).

Alegandron, stevex6, Jwt708 and 2 others like this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very cool!

Okidoki likes this.
  19. Okidoki

Steve,

here you can see you Coin und Hadrian.
    not coin was restruck i think, only certain mints?
    352017.jpg

Mikey Zee, Bing and stevex6 like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Z-Bro => thanks for the coin-info (very interesting)

Oki => yes, I can see the coin underneath (the Hadrian was over-struck onto an example similar to my coin) ... very cool example

Thanks guys

:rolleyes:

Okidoki likes this.
  21. gal oktan

gal oktan New Member

Hadrian not handsome but some very interesting obverses and reverses

Gal

Okidoki likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted