Hadrian Aureus: A Tale of Subtle Differences

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by IdesOfMarch01, Sep 17, 2016.

1. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

The four Hadrian Hispania aurei below are apparently from the same sets of dies. Can you spot the subtle differences that distinguishes one of them as a forgery? (I couldn't.)

Coin 1:

Hispania 1.jpg

Coin 2:
    Hispania 2.jpg

Coin 3:
    Hispanioa 3.jpg

Coin 4:
    Hispania 4.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Tough quiz. They all look good to me. But if I have to choose just one as a fake, I think I would select number one based solely on the letters (the "A" to be specific) in the legend. But, honestly, this is pure guess and I know I will be wrong.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    galba68 likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. I'll take a stab at it. Coin 2's reverse looks suspicious. The devices are richly detailed yet the dotted border is indistinct at best. How? Also, it looks like it might be pressed rather than struck. There are "stutter marks" on the obverse dots, something I think I've heard is associated with pressing ("stutter marks" may not be the correct way to describe what I'm seeing).

However, without you posting that one was fake, I wouldn't have immediately thought anything was wrong with any of them.

5. IdesOfMarch01

Which A (there are five of them - three on the obverse, and two on the reverse)? And which coin?

FYI, both Bing and TIF are on the right track.

And I agree that it's easier to find differences given the knowledge that one of the coins is a forgery.

galba68 likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm, Bing... I see what you mean about the letter A on Coin 1 (all of the As)-- the cross bar is much more defined than the As on the other coins. It also lacks two subtle bumps in the upper reverse field, like the die was smoothed. I could imagine Coin 1 being pressed rather than struck (few flow lines).

In summary, I don't know, but probably Coin 1 or Coin 2 :)

7. I'll say coin 1; solely because the fabric looks cast or pressed and doesn't have flow lines like the rest. But, that could be the lighting/photo.

stevex6 likes this.
  8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Coin 1 also doesnt seem to have as much detail in the chest area

9. 2nd observation: Coin 3, directly above Hadrian's head; on the other 3 examples, the beading is visible, faintly or boldly, where on this specific piece, there is room for that device to be visible, but, there isn't the slightest hint of it. If you also take into account how neatly struck the rest of the coin is, it would seem illogical to assume that the die was warn out to extent of the beading not appearing on flan.

This is an interesting event. @IdesOfMarch01 without giving away the answer, is this a situation where the forgery is suspected solely by comparing it to other examples from the same dies?

10. SanClem

SanClem Member

I only buy from certain dealers for a reason. Anyway, coin 1 has different detail than the others. The reverse looks weakly struck in areas, but the drapery shows folds not present in the others, for example. Could be an unevenly worn die, but I'll go 1.

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Heh, you're right. I didn't remember that one!

12. IdesOfMarch01

There is one characteristic of the forgery that is stand-alone -- i.e., does not rely on comparison to other coins from the same dies.

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My eye is drawn to the raised lump over the rabbit's (?) ears. On coins 2-4, this lump has clear definition on the edges. On coin 1, is doesn't. On a modern US coin, this is indicative of a die transfer from a genuine coin. The general fabric of the coin looks like that of a die transfer forgery. The A's on the reverse, as earlier posters pointed out, have a slightly different style than the rest; they look touched up while the others look a bit crude.

I say coin #1 is the forgery.

14. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I would also guess coin #1. The hair detail left of the ear does not look quite right in comparison to the other coins.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Coin #3

=> no, Coin #2

Carthago likes this.
  16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I am stumped!

17. Whichever one isn't fake, you'll probably end up buying. So you probably have the most at stake here. ha.

panzerman likes this.
  18. SanClem

SanClem Member

Changing my mind. Coin #3 has a raised bump between the H and A on the obverse.

Ajax likes this.
  19. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Also a bump on the H

20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

All of them. The "A's" just do not look right.

Draft saved Draft deleted