HA sticker on back of slab, leave it or remove it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rte, Apr 5, 2024.

1. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Does it ad anything of value or not?
    What say you?
    Before I remove the sticker I figured I'd ask around.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Record for your own benefit and remove.

4. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I remove all stickers that aren't CAC or similar. I don't think it adds any value.

Player11 and Kevin Mader like this.
  5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I always remove auction stickers and re-stick them to the page in my log book where I record what I paid for the coin. That way I know where the coin came from. In my experience, the longer you leave the stickers on the coin, the harder it is to get them off.

MIGuy, Joel Turner and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I remove them and toss to the trash. I suppose that there might be some value in keeping them, however, the slab has a serial number so I don't really see the point. It takes 5 seconds to look the sale up through their website and verify that the coin was purchased in auction.

I do have an excel workbook where I track the avenues of purchase, prices, etc of all my coins though. If the sticker would be your only mechanism for tracking this type of info, then maybe it'd be worth leaving on the slab or storing away.

Player11, lordmarcovan and wxcoin like this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I remove them. When they get old they don't come off as easy.

Jaelus likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I leave 'em be on the ones I have.......

MIGuy likes this.
  9. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Me too

green18 and MIGuy like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If it’s blocking thee coin or the slab label remove it, if not then why not leave it?

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

There is nothing special about a Heritage sticker and given how many of them are out there, it is unlikely they will ever bring a premium. If you are someone that keeps paper records, the sticker can be attached to that (like others suggested). Or you can toss it and just record the needed info on your computer or paper records.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I'll remove it and clean up the label.
    That way it looks like the NGC View.

Player11 and charley like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I remove them and use a little rubbing alcohol to remove any adhesive residue, when there is any. That being said, I’ve got several pieces in my collection that still have auction house stickers on them which I’ve never gotten around to removing.

It doesn’t make much difference either way and depends on your personal preference. An auction sticker is unlikely to ever increase the value of a coin, and some like me don’t care for stickers on their slabs (except CAC). But preserving the information is a good idea, and I think those who remove the stickers but save them separately with their records are probably on the right track.

rte likes this.
  14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I remove them. It leads directly back to the lot number which makes it easier for future people to know what you paid. And, as others have said, the longer you leave it on, the harder it is to remove.

15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I was able to track it back to HA auction and the seller said that's when he bought it and been sitting in his safe since.
    I offered $500 off the asking price because I figured the auction label was what he paid. He would have been up some money and maybe he would deal.
    Seller countered with $50 over my offer so I committed to the purchase.
    Now waiting on that credit card to arrive that has the $350 bonus that brings it back into the not so bad of a buy category.:D

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The only problem with removing auction labels is when they are on early NGC slabs. Removing the label also will rip the hologram off the slab. It can sometimes be difficult to find early NGC slabs that don't have the hologram destroyed.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hey, good to see you back here! :)

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It is better to have the hologram intact, but it’s not something would make me lose sleep. Look at it this way. You can’t see the hologram with the sticker over it, and can’t remove the sticker without losing it, so it’s a goner either way.

19. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

It's a type of trash. Best removed and forgotten.

Draft saved Draft deleted