Ha Ha. Well played, Clickhole

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gavin Richardson, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

chrsmat71, randygeki, Orfew and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I don't get their point : I guess people wouldn't care at all with me going to museums for looking at coins !

Q

Justin Lee and Gavin Richardson like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think that is there point-- no one bothers to look at coins at a museum, and that most people don't go to museums in the first place.

5. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

I approve of this. Keeps people who aren’t really interested out of my way at museums.

Pellinore, Orfew, Justin Lee and 3 others like this.
  6. Gavin Richardson

I think the satire is pretty broad—a bit of a send-up of anyone who would care about these sorts of things in the first place. A bit of an anti-intellectual gesture, though humorously so.

Perhaps more narrowly, it might be a send-up of people who want to be thought intellectual but who do not want to do the hard work of actually being so.

But when I start to parse the intent of humor, it loses all capacity to be funny. So perhaps I should just let the mystery be.

Justin Lee, David Hilton and Nerva like this.
  7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Hilarious! downloadfile.gif

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  8. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Greek or Roman it's all just swords and sandals to most young people. If you want to make a point about the ancient Greeks you need to mention Gerard Butler. If you're referring to ancient Romans you need to say Russell Crowe ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  9. Gavin Richardson

Yes. And to all women enamoured of Gerard Butler's abs in that film, allow me to point out that they were generated by a computer, not in a gym.

Justin Lee and Deacon Ray like this.
  10. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I'm still scrolling through trying to find the O: Claudius/R: Nero coin ... <.< >.>

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wish it were mine :D.

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=365632

[​IMG]
    Choice Dynastic Issue
    CNG 109, Lot: 632. Estimate $5000.
    Sold for $4750. This amount does not include the buyer’s fee.

Claudius, with Nero as Caesar. AD 41-54. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.57 g, 3h). Lugdunum (Lyon) mint. Struck AD 51. TI CLAVD • CAESAR • AVG • GERM • P M • TRIB POT • P P, laureate head of Claudius right / NERO CLAVD CAES DRVSVS GERM PRINC IVVENT •, bareheaded and draped bust of young Nero left. RIC I 83 (Rome); von Kaenel Type 51 (unlisted dies); Lyon 85/1a (D402/R420); RSC 5; BMCRE 80-1 (Rome); BN 89-90; Bourgey (16 December 1913), lot 75 (same dies). Good VF, old cabinet tone. Rare.

From the WRG Collection. Ex Delta Collection (Coin Galleries, 13 November 1991), lot 485; Spink & Galerie des Monnaies (15 February 1977), lot 292.

12. Gavin Richardson

Yes. I think that is in the special collections of the Burlingheim now. :pompous:

zumbly, TIF and Orfew like this.
  13. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Beautiful coin. I have the poor man's version.
    claud nero new.jpg

zumbly, Bing, Andres2 and 5 others like this.
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I would welcome it anyday

Q

TIF and Orfew like this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I don’t get it.

Caesar_Augustus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted