Guilty - A Newb Bidding Lesson

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Mar 28, 2022.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I don't do the bidding thing very well. If I see a coin I like, I place what I am willing to pay and move on with my life...... Well, I saw one on Heritage last week that I REALLY wanted and I plugged in my max bid which I surmise is maybe 30% higher than that coin would be valued at on a good day...... I am not a guy that has the time or the patience to sit and manipulate bids, but this is one I really, really want.... We aren't talking huge money here, and the bid doesn't take place for two more weeks. Have I put myself in a bad position by placing a very heavy max bid?

Inspector43 and BuffaloHunter like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

As Mr. Popeil once said Randy, 'set it, and forget it'. That's the way I'd of done it. :)

Scott J, NSP, David Betts and 6 others like this.
  4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

If you're willing to pay the max bid (factoring in buyers fee, etc.) that you put in, what's the harm? I've overbid, and won, stuff before but I was willing to because I wanted the piece.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Some will say it’s best to wait and put your max at the end while others will just put in a bid and let it ride. I’ve won and lost coins using both strategies. You do decrease the chances of someone running you up by waiting but winning the coin is another matter. That depends on how much the most motivated person is willing to pay.

6. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is enough credible evidence to definitively support either method, i.e. going big early or late. I tend to go late on the theory that it's generally better to hide your cards.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Well…. It isn’t a big deal. It should be a $500.00 coin But if it reaches my max bid I will still be happy.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    BuffaloHunter and ddddd like this.
  8. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Randy Abercrombie I'd recommend editing your post to not reveal what the coin is; most people here won't be looking for it, but it's still best to avoid adding unnecessary competition.

Cliff Reuter, MIGuy, NSP and 4 others like this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Good call

UncleScroge and ddddd like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...dang, I was going to waylay him...

11. Randy Abercrombie

You shush! LOL

PamR, Cliff Reuter, MIGuy and 2 others like this.
  12. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

If you like it place your max bid that you are comfortable with and if you win you get your coin. Good luck.
    Phil

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All depends on the auction and how it’s set up. I do a monthly auction and I can set a maximum bid. I get a notification if it goes higher. But my lower bid is there until it reaches my highest bid. Most times I get the coin for less than my highest bid. Best to set your bid and check on it a few times.

14. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I don't know. I think the odds of winning the coin increase if you wait to place your bid. I believe it increases your chances of getting it below your max if you do that. You can always bid up to your max if you have to, but you can't bid down.

15. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

For most of us, and for most of the coins we would like to obtain, it isn't a good financial strategy to bid a price that is significantly greater than we think the coin is worth. I understand that sometimes we want what we want pretty much regardless of the price. But for most of the people and most of the time, we don't want to pay a lot more than what most other people would pay.

For example, if you think the FMV of the coin is $1000, but you put in a bid for $3000, the odds are you're going to win a significant fraction of those auctions. But you definitely run the risk of some of those wins having an underbidder who is just as motivated as you thus driving your cost way up. And if there's the slightest possibility of a shill, this strategy can have very uncomfortable consequences.

Like I said, if it's something you've just got to have, then bid high whether early or late as you think best. But I prefer to see how auctions are going before I make a commitment. And frankly, there are very few coins that are affordable to me that cannot be obtained elsewhere if this specimen gets away.

That said, I let a nice coin I was going to bid on get away last night because my wife wanted me to watch a show with her so I missed watching the last few minutes of the auction and putting a bid in. Possibly might have picked that very nice coin up for a decent but fair price. But there'll be another one that comes along.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

Been there too! A recent example was a nice coin ending in the afternoon. I get a call from a coworker and that turned into a long conversation. By the time we are done, I remember the auction and it's too late. With some auction venues, like Stacks/Heritage/Legend, you also don't know the exact time the coin will come up. If prior lots are running long (or going quick), it could be later (earlier) than anticipated. Those are circumstances where I've placed bids early and checked back in when the auction was over. With eBay, there is more certainty as you know the exact time it will end and can even use a snipe program (although be careful there since lately they have those messages to prove your identity that can pop up in the wrong moment and not let you bid).

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

One more scenario where I've seen early bidding be successful is bullion items. Something like a generic ounce of gold will be tied to the spot price. If you bid the right increment, you might win as the next highest bid wouldn't be worthwhile (some auction houses have a $50 jump between increments at that price level, so once the coin reaches a certain dollar amount, most won't bid another $50 as that tends to be too big of a premium over spot).

18. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Like you, I usually set a bid and move on. If I win, they will let me know. But, if I really, really, really, want the coin (for whatever reason), then I'll track the auction and put in my highest bid 4 seconds before the hammer
    Good luck on your bid.

serafino, jamor1960, MIGuy and 3 others like this.
  19. Randy Abercrombie

And in the end. I won a long desired dream coin….. It went all the way to my max bid. And I am happy owning this slice of early American history.

E8607DD6-23DB-4AF3-8A19-50FAE0463E3A.jpeg

20. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

For me, set it and forget it. Decide what your Max is and leave it at that. You either win or lose. The trouble with bidding late, especially on a coin you really want is your chances of overbidding becomes multiplied. Lets say the coin is worth $300. Your Max Bid is $280 considering all fees. Someone bids $290. Do you let it go? Or convince yourself "I'm already in for $280, what's another $10 and you increase your bid". So does the other bidder, now you've trapped yourself in the mindset that "oh, it's just a little more". This is a false belief. Your not "already in", your just overpaying. I've been there, done that and then had to have serious talk with myself about breaking my own rules. Sometimes I even listen to myself.
    Good Luck.

Fallguy, jamor1960 and MK Ultra like this.
  21. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

So you're the one doing it at all the internet auctions!! LOL

Kentucky and Randy Abercrombie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted