Guess what? Now I've seen it all, and the world is officially over!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ronterry, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Is there nothing PCGS won't capitalize on edited ? I was even surfing Ebay and noticing folks jumping all over penny slabs with rare inserts! Now I know I'm new to this, but shouldn't we buy the coin and not the slab? Well obviously not since the rare insert demanded a lot more than standard PCGS labels.
    Sorry for the rant, as you were... edited

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Somehow I don't think this thread is long for the world.

4. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

Believe it or not some guys actually do collect the slab and not the coin, I think there may be a few slab collectors on these boards. That said, I don't think this insert would add any value to the coin or the slab....from what I understand you can get an insert to say whatever you want if you fork over the $$.

5. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Still baffles me since you can buy PCGS style slabs and print any label you want. Heck you could grade you precious a 71 LOL
    I also think is was a risky move for PCGS to pull a political byass into the mix. edited

6. blsmothermon

blsmothermon Member

I just had to look up the trademark and see who was doing this. "History in your Hands" (TM) is the registered trademark of Collector's Universe, Inc. and they must be the ones who did this. I find this hilarious!

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Collector's Universe owns PCGS.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

That saddens me.

And btw I collect sample slabs.

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That's cool. I only have one or two myself.

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Well by collect I should say dabble :D
    As I don't have that many but I do like owning different types of them.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

News flash, the world ended two years ago when these came out. You're just getting around to noticing it. I have one in the reference set, but it is just a novelty slab.

I don't have mine close at hand so I can't check to see if they were issued by CU or not. From time to time Collectors Universe makes a deal with someone for some special slabs and they use PCGS shells to produce them but with the Collectors Universe logo on the back instead of PCGS. (PCGS being owned by CU doesn't really have much choice whether or not to go along with it.) The most famous of the special slabs were the original 9/11 "Death coin" slabs back in 2001. PCGS caught all the flak over them but they were made by Collectors Universe not PCGS. About six months later PCGS did jump into the market with their own version though.

And is there anything wrong with collecting slabs? :)

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

well, that makes three of us.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Four, I collect samples along with my other slabs.

14. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I have alot to say about it.. but won't because then Doug would have to edit me and the post would be all red looking and stuff. So.. for those that know me.. use your imagination and your probably pretty close to my wanted to post. : )

Hello Condor.. sorry I had to rush away at the MSNS show and couldn't get to talk to you more.. We are cohosting the spring show with the guy I had to talk to and he was heading out.. You gonna be at the spring show?

Oh and Doug.. your welcome for me saving you ALL the editing you would of had to do to this post.. LOL..

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't usually make the Spring show, it tends to conflict with either the Chicago International Show or the EAC Convention.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Awwww now Jim - you ? Nahhhhhh - never happen :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted