Guess the Issue

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SensibleSal66, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

It is part of the minting process. The specifications were not complied with. The inspection of incoming product failed to catch the material deficiencies. Process error - mint error.

JeffC, paddyman98 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I have several woodies, they make good conversation pieces but of little value. It is definitely a keeper, a very nice woody. Thanks for posting it.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I just saw this crazy and sad priced item on eBay.

No way that's an Improperly Mixed Alloy :facepalm:
    Looks more like dried urine on the plating :yack:

Capture+_2020-10-18-13-32-38.png

It's Environmental damage. Chemical :banghead:

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That's disgusting.:spitoutdummy::yack:
    Definitely not a Woodie.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  6. Millard

Millard Coindog

Its called a woody and was minted in homage to Abraham Lincoln in his early years as a rail splitter in his home state of Kentucky ;):joyful::angelic::bored:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

@SensibleSal66 sure looks like the identical coin to me. Or is it just a coincidence?

SensibleSal66 and Paddy54 like this.
  8. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Quality control. I'm sure everything is supposed to be inspected.

9. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Not all "woodies" are improper alloy mixes. Sometimes they are just stained from prolonged contact with a contaminate on the outside.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Are you saying that some of these coins we see are actually toning, I am referring to striations in the planchet.

11. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

No. I am saying sometimes a "woodie" isn't exclusively an improper alloy.

12. Pickin and Grinin

I guess that I am misunderstanding you. The only questionable improperly mixed alloy. coins that I can think of are the late 70's and early 80' Lincolns.
    All others have a pretty distinct look that looks nothing like corrosion,
    you might need to elaborate.

13. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

A "woodie' is ALWAYS an improperly mixed alloy that tones at different rates.
    A "faked woodie" has been treated to appear to tone at different rates when in reality it's artificial toning and applied differently for the appearance.
    Planchet striations are not woodies at all.

Same coin different lighting (incandescent, then LED LOL!)because some areas the toning is less apparent since it's been held at this stage of toning for a really long time and not allowed to progress darker Since I don't want it going any darker than it was when I found it. it's pretty darn hard to fake this toning. the spots of copper that didn't mix completely into the brass alloy smashed and rolled out when the sheet was brought to spec thickness.
    20190907_Internet_20190907_145738_7.jpg.jpg 20190907_Internet_20190907_145738_8.jpg.jpg 20190519_IMG_2019-05-19_21-05-38_zpslcqvffaj_edit_1558314589455-ccfopt.jpg 20190519_IMG_2019-05-19_21-04-53_zpsy5jvr416_edit_1558314635831-ccfopt.jpg

Also there's no way for the mint to catch it, it's a shiny red cent when it was minted, it's when the toning occurs it appears obvious the alloy wasn't mixed thoroughly.it's a mint error, because that's what the error authorities say it is. Even if it wasn't an error I would still think they have exceptional eye appeal and be drawn to it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    beaver96 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Planchet striations have surely been thought of as Woodies,
    First these are planchet striations,
    upload_2020-10-20_20-50-57.png
    Almost gives the coin the imp M Alloy look, when in reality this is all due to toning.
    When I questioned @JCro57 I was mainly referring to What I think are slight raised lines on late 70's early 80's bronze cents. It is the parallel lines that make me think that they are unstruck deformity's in the planchet, or an anomaly in the die that made them. I don't see them as being improperly mixed.
    Here is Buffalo.
    Is this toning, an application or an improperly mixed alloy?
    upload_2020-10-20_21-6-19.png

upload_2020-10-20_21-6-41.png

15. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Application of the environment .Toning is a term that describes the discoloration or light patina that forms on the surface of coins due to oxygen and chemicals in the air acting on the metal. This oxidation can result in a variety and level of toning and also depends on the properties of the metal – silver, gold, copper, nickel, etc.

16. John Burgess

You been here longer than I have and know clearly more than I do about coins, I'm by no means a professional or authority on any of the subjects I discuss. In fact I take you as an authority :D
    Striations like in the first photo could be thought of as woodies but they certainly arent. I've seen striations and woody on the same coin, the toning is stripped in the same direction as the striations. Striations are lines left on the planchet from rolling or "roller lines". The have no effect on the toning anymore than the difference in height between fields and devices because the alloy there is the same composition so it doesn't tone at different rates.

the buffalo could be improperly mixed alloy since they are 75% copper 25% nickel although I'd have to suspect annealing as the culprit of this type of toning on nickels, as it usually is. And I can't rule out evironment either on the buffalo.

People think of toning as a surface condition, which it is, but in the case of the woody cent the "wood grain" appearance is in the metal of the coin toning at different rates. You could remove the toning but it will retone in the same stripy way over and over.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  17. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

I would assume the “L” on liberty

18. Pickin and Grinin

Maybe not the same colors but in the same look. 100% true.

My point is that I have never seen a contaminant cause the look of an improperly mixed alloy.
    I could be reading to much into the statement made.
    I was just hoping for a visual.

John Burgess and SensibleSal66 like this.
  19. SensibleSal66

I can't believe what I started, LOL
    Discussion CLOSED .

20. John Burgess

Still open:playful:

I did A bit more research on the Buffalos with this appearance, and as I thought but refused to believe, it's the same thing that happens on woody lincoln cents. it's an improper alloy mix and it's just as common on Buffalos as it is on Bronze cents. The buffalo term is "alloy streaking" instead of "woody" ( guess because nickels don't really brown as they tone) and it's not as dramatic or appealing to collectors as woodies, but it doesn't hurt the grade at all. it's actually not annealing that causes it, it's the alloy mix not mixed well.

And then this brought me to a whole another thing to research.....
    “intrinsic metallic inclusions” a piece of metal in the mix that doesn't melt for whatever the reason, and gets included in the sheet,gets punched out and voila!.... Interesting indeed.

51365553.jpg
    53251922.jpg 53251955.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  21. SensibleSal66

What ? Duck season ?

Draft saved Draft deleted