Guess the hammer price—1881o Morgan.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, May 18, 2022.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Lol. Nah. I’ll hold on to them. I used to have a lot of toner Morgan’s I bought before they went really stupid back in the early 20teens

kazuma78 likes this.
  4. kazuma78

I figured! I have a couple nice ones but I would love to eventually have a monster as a type coin.

5. Mainebill

I had a lot once. But life got in my way. I haven’t really looked at my coins in a couple years even. They’re in my safe. I just have been dealing with enormous life changes

6. kazuma78

That's understandable! Coins are fun but take a backseat to truly important life changes and circumstances. I totally get that. Though it's fun to rediscover them again later.

Mainebill likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

They would almost certainly do much better than in 2017-18. At that point I was still getting some deals (well relative "deals") compared to being blown out on most toners lately (or having to really pay up for several that I wanted).

8. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I believe I could run that bad boy up over 2k!

9. Mainebill

Not trying to hijack this s thread either sorry

10. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

You did’t. It is very relevant to the cost of toned coins.

Mainebill likes this.
  11. Morgandude11

Anybody who said $800 was correct. With the vig, it ended at $859. There was no bidding war, and that made sense. The coin is nice, but unspectacular.

F5781B62-175F-4D6F-8B2B-E80B2093CC6C.jpeg

12. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Ouch!!!I knew my final bid estimate was most likely in the stars,it sold within the fair range.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

It did not go as high as I thought but still brought strong money for the level of toning.

The surprise of the night so far is this MS 62 reverse toner that went for $763.88 (with the fee). I liked it and was following but only valued it around the $300 mark (as can be seen by my bid-which was placed well in advance of the end).

upload_2022-5-22_20-22-57.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Stupid money.

I used to buy these back in the late 1970's for discounts.

Life happened and they are long gone, along with all my DMPL's & PL's.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. Morgandude11

That is insane for that coin. Yes, the reverse is attractive, but I agree that it is essentially a $300 coin in today’s market. Once again, bizarre bidding. I used to get toners like that for no premium over untoned coins, or a very slight boost over book price. I don’t see the appeal of this coin.

ddddd likes this.
  16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

All Morgans are keepers with the Peace Dollar neck-n-neck in my opinion. @Mainebill Yours is no exception it's a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

In the eye of the beholder...

Morgandude11 likes this.
  18. Mainebill

Yeah the one 66 cac. And toned pretty. The other an absolute monster. 63 cac. I paid strong for both around 2012-13. But nothing like todays market. I’ve had offers on the 80-s through ha and strong offers that I said no thanks to.

19. Morgandude11

I love the 66*. That is a beautifully gold toned high grade coin.

Mainebill likes this.
  20. Mainebill

Been my type set Morgan for a long time back when I was actually concerned about a registry set and trying to build it. I dismantled most of it and basically have a box of 20. It stayed

Morgandude11 likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Draft saved Draft deleted