Guess the Grades..

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mark240590, May 13, 2016.

1. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

First up is a graded coin I can give you the precise answer for.

The 1817 more like a check too see if I'm on the right lines with it as its a little awkward due to die flaws and the fact they weren't struck well in the first place.

A godless florin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Brunswick - Wolfenbuttel 24 Mariengroschen's 1817, 1820 & 1821

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

The top one I'd say xf45. Is that a scratch tho by her nose? Not familiar with the others

4. mark240590

I can't tell you yet as I've not received it but I believe it might be on the slab. You're wrong though ;)

5. joecoincollect

I'd say AU 53 then. After looking again, I don't see obvious wear. I do see a little bit on the reverse, on the lions and more on the horse to the right.

mark240590 likes this.
  6. mark240590

You must have found it on the Internet ? Au53 exactly ha either that or you're really good :) I'm not very good with American grades especially when it comes to AU. To me it's either UNC or EF ! I would put it in gVF maybe just EF in old English terms :)

Paul M. likes this.
  7. joecoincollect

Wow. I was right? I honestly didn't look it up. I got lucky! I'm quite familiar with American grading, so maybe it helps even with world coins. Usually AU coins have a lot of luster but that's with a little more recent coins than yours. Your coin I could tell has original surfaces and little wear so an AU is fitting. In the Krause catalog they only list xf and unc for world coins, so maybe that's common everywhere else. We Americans may be more fanatical about grading

mark240590 and rzage like this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

AU53 US grade is definitely in the ball park on the first one. I was thinking AU50. I think both of those translate roughly into an English EF.

mark240590 likes this.
  9. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

not Godless - wouldn't say Victoria d:g:Britt:
    Nice coin!

mark240590 likes this.
  10. mark240590

Meant to say gothic lol !

jj00 and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted