Guess The Grade! Toned Bay Bridge Commemorative

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by FreakyGarrettC, Aug 3, 2010.

1. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

Picked this one up recently, can't wait until it comes in so I can see it in hand! :D
    Take a shot at guessing the grade. :thumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Garrett :ninja:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Classic Commemoratives in high grades are very dependent upon luster. Your coin is very clean but colorful toning approaches charcoal in color on many parts of the coin. Even if the luster is unimpeded by the toning, it would be very hard to achieve a grade higher than MS65 given the overall darkness of the coin. Since it is an NGC coin, it has a shot at MS66, but I still think it is an MS65.

4. FreakyGarrettC

I agree, the toning is very dark in places. :thumb:

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is just too clean to go 65. It has got to be a 66.

6. Kryptonitecomic

Kryptonitecomic New Member

Very tough to tell with the darker toning but assuming the luster may be better than the scan indicates I will go with a guess of MS66 from a surface preservation standpoint.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Very nice looking coin!! I can only guess a MS 64 and if I am wrong I will eat a candy bar today!! :D

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Tough coin to grade. Darkly toned coins make assessing luster difficult from photos, and luster is a key ingredient in the grading of this series, in my experience.

I'd guess 65, but anything from a 63 to a 67 to a no grade (AT) wouldn't surprise me....Mike

9. Leadfoot

p.s. very pretty coin!

10. Leadfoot

p.p.s. It is a common courtesy to refrain from posting pictures until you have decided to keep the coin.

11. Lehigh96

Wow, I didn't know that. And this might be a dumb question but I don't understand why?

12. Leadfoot

Think of it like this:

You're a seller. You advertise a coin. Someone (a buyer) asks for it to be sent (via eBay or an approval, basically the same thing), then posts the coin on forums for all to see and comment. The buyer sends it back., and now it's harder to move How would you feel if you were the seller?

13. Leadfoot

p.s. I used to do what Freaky did, until I got dressed down (in a nice way) by a dealer for doing so. Now I ask permission to post photos of coins I don't own yet.

14. Lehigh96

I don't have enough experience selling my coins to say definitively, but unless the coin got blasted in the thread, I would think that any exposure is good for sales. Anyway, good to know since I have made that faux pas in the past.

15. Lehigh96

Wasn't Feld was it?

16. FreakyGarrettC

I usually review the pictures very well before purchasing or bidding. I have only returned one coin ever and that was because I purchased a "club ray" fugio which in reality was a pointed ray variety.

17. Leadfoot

Fair enough. In the end you have to do what YOU think is right. Just wanted to share my perspective. :)

18. Leadfoot

Nope.

19. fretboard

Wait a second, is this a NGC star coin or is it an AT? Doesn't change my grade, just wondering.

20. FreakyGarrettC

[​IMG]

Its not a NGC slab, it's a first gen ANACS holder, back from when the ANA graded them. :D

21. fretboard

Alrighty then! AT?

Draft saved Draft deleted