Guess the Grade- Toned 1888-O Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by K2Coins, May 24, 2014.

?

Guess the Grade

1. AU58

9.1%
  2. MS62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS63

27.3%
  4. MS64

45.5%
  5. MS65

18.2%
  6. UNC Details - Art. Toning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

The toning on this coin in person looks amazing
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I can't tell about the toning from your photos, but if it's okay, then I think it is 64.

Chris

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Bad photo--not enough detail. From that photo, I would guess 64, but not enough sharpness of image to make that determination.

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I can go with the 64.

6. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

MS64 but hard to tell from the photo.

7. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

I would say MS64. But if that is wear above her ear, then AU58.

8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

That's what I said in another thread and I got drawn & quartered for it... and a free lesson on weak strikes. So today I've ordered David Bower's guide book of Morgan dollars and will see what he says about a certain year/mm before I answer to GTG questions :)

9. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

I can't tell the difference between wear and week strikes, so I hope someone gives me a free lesson on that :)
    I ordered the Coin Collector's Survival Manual 7th Edition a few days ago, so once I finish reading that, I'll order that David Bower's book.

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It's difficult to make a call with regards to the coin in this thread, especially as the coin has such a strong toning. I guess as it's from the New Orleans mint, we can expect a weak strike. But maybe one of the Morgan enthusiasts could tell us why they think it's MS and not AU58 and where exactly to look at?

11. BHPM Trader

BHPM Trader Active Member

62, bag marks in the open fields.

12. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

The coin was graded MS63 by NGC. I think that this coin is under graded by a long shot, and the toning just makes it look even better, even though it is a weak strike. I think im going to send it to CAC just to see what they say, or resubmitting it. Also, a great book to learn about the strike quality and facts about every date and mintmark morgan dollars is titled "A Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars" by David Bowers as micbraun has mentioned that he purchased in a post above.

13. BHPM Trader

My guess was 62, I didn't say this but I thought that it had an outside shot at a low 63. I own about many MS64 Morgan's and as a dealer have dealt with hundreds more. The open fields on the obverse are not clean enough to come close to a 64. I believe that the beautiful toning is hiding many more marks. In my opinion...

14. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

There are just a few marks to the left of her face on the obverse. I also collect and sell morgans. Im working on putting together a date and mintmark set. I think that it has a good shot at a 64 but idk if its worth the grading fee to try to get it in a 64 holder

15. BHPM Trader

It's a great looking coin. Probably looks even better in hand.

16. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

It does!

Draft saved Draft deleted