Guess the grade on my new 1800 eagle

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Traz, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Traz

Traz Card counter

Anybody care to guess the grade on my new eagle graded by PCGS:

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Well I'd have to go with either 61 or 62. Absolutely stunning coin...

4. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Wow, that is one incredible coin. I'm leaning more towards a 62.

5. Traz

Traz Card counter

Yep. MS62, CAC and PCGS Graded. Here is the Heritage description. Hard to believe for such an 'accessible' coin and with 13 graded higher, the price was so high. 4 in MS62 CAC, one higher CAC (a 64).

CAC. BD-1, High R.3. Sole die pair for the year. Bass-Dannreuther Die State c/e, the obverse plainly cracked at LIBERTY and the reverse showing subtle clash marks from obverse dentils that are most obvious atop the first T of STATES. This state of the BD-1 1800 eagle illustrates one of the greatest challenges to determining how many of which coins were struck in the Mint's earliest years: the obverse die was taken out of service, a number of coins dated 1801 struck, and then returned to service to make more eagles, this MS62 example included.

Thanks to the remarriage, the 1800 eagle is, in the aggregate, one of the more accessible early eagle issues, as it is merely scarce rather than rare like most of its peers. Taking die states into account, however, more specifically the split between coins struck in 1800 and those produced in 1801, the two periods when divided create a pair of more challenging and intriguing issues. It is possible that the coins struck in 1801 will be considered their own variety in the future, much as die states for half dollars sometimes are marked with an "a" or "b" suffix.

Even should that never come to pass, the 1800 eagle remains a popular issue, particularly in high grades such as MS62. This piece has broad lemon-gold luster with just a hint of green and good interior detail. The reverse shows sizable adjustment marks at the lower eagle and the right-side clouds, but these are as-made and do not influence the technical grade. Wispy flaws in the obverse fields largely account for the grade. Population: 16 in 62, 13 finer (11/13).

Draft saved Draft deleted