Guess the Grade Morgan (three part challenge)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Mar 20, 2022.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

I like to make these interesting, so let's do a three part challenge for this guess the grade. :D
    1) Guess the grade NGC gave the coin
    2) Guess the grade PCGS gave the coin
    3) Guess which holder brought the higher auction price (both were no reserve auctions and within the last year)

Just to clarify, all pictures are the same coin

z2z3.jpg z2z2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

NGC 68*(Star)-PCGS 66+ I'm going to say NGC it's truly a beauty.

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

1. 66*
    2. 67
    3. NGC

5. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

NGC 66*
    PCGS 65+

The PCGS Coin brought a higher price. I would guess the final auction price was 5 figures, by virtue of the gem grade, and beautiful obverse toning. I will guess $3659. I did not look up closed auctions—just winging this myself.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Keep the guesses going…reveal either later tonight or tomorrow.

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

My grade would be MS-64. There are quite a few marks under the toning that are not, or at least didn't used to be, consistent with the MS-65 grade.

Their grade is probably MS-65 or 65+ because of the toning.

The "True View" is a prime example of how the PCGS photos make a coin look better than what it is. I compare them to the glamor shots (brushed shots) that the photographer put in your high school year book. An unfortunate girl who had zits or the scares from zits on her face looked like Marylyn Monroe when they done with it.

9. ddddd

ddddd Member

The PCGS TrueView does tend to exaggerate coins (sometimes the color, sometimes to minimize the number of hits by angling the photo just right). I try to include more photos than just the TrueView for that reason. It's nice to have the "yearbook" style photo but I like having another view alongside.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

NGC 65*
    PCGS 66+
    NGC got the higher price.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm not revealing the answer just yet but do have a question. For those guessing that the NGC grade was lower but the price was higher, what are your thoughts for why? @Pickin and Grinin @longshot

(most of us would understand guessing NGC bringing more if the grade was higher in their slab or PCGS was more if the grade was higher in their slab).

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

IMO the star grade by NGC always has trumped better +grade PCGS coins.
    There was the hype of this coin in the first auction, and PCGS screwd the pooch when they had to trump NGC. The buyers saw the grade and weren't ready to pony up for it. I don't see it as a 66.

Edit"
    I also know nothing about this coin, just basing my guess off the latest trends.

ddddd likes this.
  13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I guess my thought was it's about the star, verifying eye appeal. This coin is all about the toning, the technical grade is not really impressive. If pcgs did give it a 67, it's obviously market grading.
    Actually after reconsidering, I would change my guess to 66 in the pcgs slab.

ddddd likes this.
  14. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

How about now? I'm not getting any younger over here :depressed:

ddddd likes this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

But you haven't even guessed. :p
    I'll have to wait to reveal until tomorrow. :D
    ...maybe we will get a few more opinions :)

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Pickin and Grinin and @longshot I appreciate the replies!
    From watching the toner market carefully over the last years, the star is valuable but the PCGS holder tends to bring the higher premium (especially on higher end color). There are still too many people that think the coin is better in a PCGS holder (it can be registry related, people liking the PCGS TrueView compared to no photos at NGC-their PhotoVision still isn't publicly visible on the cert page, or just believing the hype). I don't personally discount a coin for being in an NGC holder but I realize the market in most cases elevated PCGS (that's why I'm happier if I find a nice toner in an NGC holder as the chances of winning the auction can be better).

17. ifthevamzarockin

ifthevamzarockin Well-Known Member

Real nice coin, I like the color!
    I'm going against popular opinion.
    NGC MS-64*
    PCGS MS63+
    PCGS sold for more

Cheech9712 likes this.
  18. Coins & Cello

Coins & Cello New Member

I'm gonna say NGC 66, PCGS 65+. Guessing NGC beat it in auction price. Edit: I wasn't thinking about stars before since I'm mostly a PCGS guy but based on the comments I am now, and I wouldn't be surprised.

19. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

This is correct. A lot of high end toner buyers (generally deep pockets buyers) will only buy an expensive toned coin if it is an a PCGS holder. They have the perception of PCGS being more accurate, and thus, guarantees their investment. I do not agree, but when I sold some high end toners, buyers insisted on having those coins PCGS certified.

Marsden and ddddd like this.
  20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

NGC 65, PCGS 65+ with the highest price.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

65 66 either way. Very nice Morgan thanks for sharing that beauty.

ddddd and Morgandude11 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted