Guess the grade ANOTHER 1911-D weak D $2 1/2

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, May 24, 2014.

?

Guess the grade

1. XF40

11.1%
  2. XF45

33.3%
  3. AU50

22.2%
  4. AU53

11.1%
  5. AU58

22.2%
  6. MS60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. MS61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

The last one was XF45. Compare that one to this one and guess the grade. Notice the eagle's shoulder vs last one. I've included several pics this time.. PCGS coinfacts, original scans, and bad pictures in a holder. pcgs pics.jpg 294082392_o.jpg 294082421_o.jpg 1911-D 020.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Are these all the same coin ?

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It sure looks like it...look at the green stuff on the tip of the arrows on the reverse. It's in all the photos.

5. jwitten

This one has a dark dot to the right of "IN" on the reverse, and the green is on the left of the arrow. The other has the green on the right side. Notice this one has better details on the eagles shoulder. They are similar though.

6. jwitten

Sorry, I might have misunderstood. All the coins in this thread are the same coin. It is a different coin than the other guess the grade thread though.

7. rzage

I'll say EF-45 .

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

My thoughts on this one are the same as they were on the other - harshly cleaned.

9. jwitten

What makes you think harshly cleaned? Nothing about it looks harshly cleaned to me. There is a difference in light scratches/marks and polished. It's a good thing you weren't the one grading my coins at pcgs ;)

10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Going to go with EF45. Your pictures versus the Coin Facts pictures are night and day...not saying I'm any good at coin photography though. Nice coin! I really want to add a couple of these to my collection.

11. jwitten

Thanks! Ya, I am decent at some coin pictures, but the last picture was made while the coin was in a 2x2, and those never turn out. The scans were from the ebay auction when I bought it. I wish I could take pictures like PCGS does. I have two of these in my collection.... has a third that was AU55, but recently sold it.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Polished is a completely different thing than harshly cleaned. As to what makes me think it is harshly cleaned, those scratches you mention do, particularly those on the reverse.

And as I mentioned before, the 1911-D is one of those coins that the TPGs are much more lenient on when it comes to most of the things that would make a coin a problem coin. Things that get a pass on an '11-D, would never get a pass on another more common coin.

In other words, if either of these two coins that you have posted were a common date/mint, they both would would have been designated as harshly cleaned by PCGS.

13. rzage

I agree with Doug , if this was a '14-D it would be detailed .
    Though I wonder why they didn't incuse the MM like they did the date . I know it's the easier way , but still .

Draft saved Draft deleted