Guess the Grade-----1941-S Jefferson Nickel NGC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jul 19, 2010.

?

Guess the assigned Grade!

1. MS63

12.8%
  2. MS64

28.2%
  3. MS65

43.6%
  4. MS66

15.4%
  1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Quite true. However, precisely because of this does it not make sense to you, at least some of you hopefully, that examples that actually have wear are sometimes mistaken for being MS ?

C'mon people, use your heads and trust what your eyes see instead of blindly accpeting the opinion of a TPG.

You see, that is the whole problem. The term "market acceptable" - where do you think it comes from ? It comes from people blindly accepting the opinions of the TPG. And they will push the limits just to see what will be accepted and what will not. And once it is accepted - guess what ? You've got a new grading standard.

One of these days you're going to wake up and find that XF coins are being graded as MS if you allow it to continue.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

I've seen some real early American coins that looked closer to XF than MS, at least to me.

4. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

But of course when selling your unslabbed MS coins that you took years and years of work to acquire the grading skills necessary to grade them properly, the dealer looks at them and calls them XF to AU 99% of the time.

5. GDJMSP

And of course the dealer that does that does the very same thing even when the coins are slabbed.

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

It would make sense if I didn't own the coin. But since I do and have the opportunity to view it in hand, I am inclined to say it is MS. While there are flat areas on the devices that look like wear, there is no discernable friction in the fields. The coin is certainly not XF. Based on the accounts of Nagengast and the previous examples I have seen in slabs, the coin is mint state.

Furthermore, I don't believe that the TPG's are purposefully pushing the limits in order to change grading standards. Their success as a company is dependent upon consumer confidence in their grading. If they constantly push the limits, they will erode that confidence. You realize they collect the grading fee no matter what grade they assign don't you?

7. GDJMSP

Paul - just how do you think they determine what is or what is not market acceptable if they do not push the limits ? Just how do you think grade-flation comes to exist if they do not push the limits ? Are you trying to tell me there is no grade-flation ?

8. Lehigh96

FYI, your use of the term market acceptability applied to the numerical grade is going to confuse a whole lot of people. My answer to your question is that gradeflation is a result of statistical probabilities and has nothing to do with a conscious effort on the part of the TPG's to push the limits.

The crackout artists will always resubmit PQ coins that they think they can get into a higher graded holder. If the price difference is $500 between grades, the crackout artist only really needs a 10% chance that the coin will upgrade in order for it to be profitable. The grading process is such that the same coin can be submitted several times and the grade can (and does) change. Gradeflation is much more a product of the submitters persistence than the intentions of the graders. In fact, I submit that the intention of the graders is consistency but it is just an impossible feat and can only be accomplished a certain % of the time. The crackout artists know this and use the inherent inconsistency of the grading process to accomplish their goal.

In that respect, I applaud PCGS and their new innovation to stop gradeflation. But Doug, you want me to believe that the TPG's are purposefully market grading AU Jefferson Nickels to BU. In my mind, that seems ludicrous. The 1941-S Large S variety may be scarce, but it is not so scarce that the TPG's need to market grade the extant population.

9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

That's one of the best posts I've read in a long time. BRAVO! :smile

10. GDJMSP

I strongly disagree. When you see coins that had been in an AU53 slab for several years, and then upon resubmission it comes back MS63 - that's pushin the limits pal. Over the years I have seen 63's turn into 65's, 65's turn into 67's, 40's turn into 53's etc etc etc. Those are not random mistakes. Those are the result of the grading companies loosening their standards.

And speaking of that, if they do not push the limits then please explain to me why at just about any time you can find various threads on the forums about the how the TPGs are either loosening or tightening their standards ? Do you know whay that is ? It's because they push the limits.

For a time they grade coins higher than they used to. Then they will wait and see if the market finds those higher grades acceptable or not. If they do, then a new looser standard is in place and they continue grading coins higher than they used to. But if the market finds those higher grades unacceptable, then they tighten things back up again. Until the next time they push the limits yet again.

Now this happens Paul, and it has continued to happen for years. For a while, the market found those higher grades unacceptable and the standards remained static. But as prices began to peak and reach levels they hadn't seen in years the market became overly exhuberant and began to accept those higher grades because of value increases. And the TPGs justified their grades with the value increases. That too is pushing the limits.

You must not pay very close attention because in years past the success rate on resubmissions was nowhere near what it was 3 and 4 years ago. For a while there it got so almost anything resubmitted was upgraded. Of course that happened as the market was nearing its peak and eventually reached its peak. Then lo and behold as the market began to weaken and prices dropped - about all you read about was how much the TPGs had tightened up. How resubmissions were having little if any success. Same for first time submissions.

Now do you really believe that was just coincidence ? How many times does it have to happen before you become a believer Paul ?

Is your memory getting short again - or is just selective ? Once, only once was their ever a comment made by anybody at PCGS about their new system was going to stop grade-flation. It was made by David Hall at a press conference. But upon questioning, it was stated flat out that the new PCGS system would absolutely not stop a coin from being upgraded. But I will say this, David Halls comment did something else that had never been done before. For by saying that the system would stop grade-flation, David Hall publicly admitted that grade-flation is real - it exist ! Otherwise there would be nothing to stop to begin with. But the primary point is the new system that PCGS is using will not stop coins from being upgraded. So grade-flation will not be stopped - at all.

Why does it seem ludicrous ? By your comment alone you are admitting that you believe that the TPGs will bump the grades of coins based on rarity. And in the past you have also admitted that the TPGs will bump the grades of coins based on attractive toning. You have also admitted that they will bump the grades of coins based on pedigree. And it has been discussed many times and agreed to that they will bump grades based on value.

So here we have 4 things that you admit that TPGs will bump grades because of. years ago those things never happened. But yet you refuse to believe that they will push the limits ? What do you want to call doing those 4 things if not pushing the limits ? And if they are willing to do that, then are willing to push the limits with regular grades too.

The evidence is all right there before you - before everybody. All anyone has to do is open their eyes and see it.

11. Lehigh96

Doug,

I am not going to argue this topic with you. You have your opinion, I have mine. My only remaining question is why would the TPG's ever make a concerted effort to loosen or tighten grading standards when they get paid no matter what grade they assign?

12. GDJMSP

Easy answer - resubmissions. It keeps them in business.

13. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

Are you saying that TPG's are consciously loosening grading standards in order to profit from submissions?

14. GDJMSP

What is the goal of a business ? - To make money.

If they don't get new submissions how do they make money ? - By getting resubmissions.

If they don't make money what happens to the business ? - They go out of business.

Now what do you think ?

15. Lehigh96

If that is true, then the public statements by David Hall (PCGS) about stopping gradeflation are nothing more than theater as they secretly want gradeflation to continue in order to boost revenues.

I wonder if anyone has statistics as to the percentage of revenues based on source for the TPG's. I am willing to bet that the largest source is moderns, followed by classics, and that resubmissions are a very small percentage of their overall revenue.

And under my theory, the TPG's don't need to modify their standards at all in order to capture the resubmission market. The crackout artists will resubmit coins based on the potential profit of an upgrade relying on the inherent incosistencies of the grading process. Your theory basically states that the TPG's are willing to sacrifice their consumer confidence in order to increase their revenues of one of their smallest sources. I am not buying that!

If you had said they loosen their standards in order to steal market share from their competitors, I could see that happening. Personally, I think that is a terrible long term decision because as soon as you get the reputation as being more liberal with your grading standards than the other guy, your prices will start to fall, and you will lose customers in droves to the competition.

Again, it is my firm belief that gradeflation is a natural result of the inherent inconsistencies of the grading process. I am not disputing that the TPG's dont make minor changes to grading standards for particular series from time to time. However, I do not believe that they intentionally loosen standards to boost revenues.

16. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

lol

but dear gd they are driving us out of money dont u think?

17. GDJMSP

Precisely so, as evidenced by the comments of Don Willis -

PCGS Secure Plus does not lock in the grade of your coin forever. What is does is tell us what your coin has graded in the past. That way we can make a more informed decision. Do we ever make mistakes? Yes. Will we ever change a Secure Plus grade? Yes.

"just because a coin is in a Secure Plus holder does not mean that the grade can never be changed. Of course it can be re-evaluated. All that is for certain is that we will have the grading history of the coin and we will be able to refer to it before the new grade is assigned. It DOES NOT mean we can't change the grade."

And no, I did not emphasize the Does Not - Don Willis did.

The only part I might disagree with are your words "very small". Is that percentage smaller than the other two categories, almost certainly. Question is how much smaller. It is also a certainty that the percentage for classics is dropping and has been for years. More so in recent years. The estimates I have read are that approx 50% of income is from moderns. The other 50% is split between resubmissions and classics. But they aren't making any more classics. Add to that the accepted number that 80% or more of them are problem coins and unslabbable. That doesn't leave every many.

Then consider that NGC and PCGS have slabbed somewhere between 40 and 50 million coins to date. Take half of those and throw 'em away as moderns. That means a whole lot of classic have already been graded and there aren't many left.

Now where do you suppose future income is going to come from ? Interestingly enough NGC and PCGS both have a new service - the Plus service. Probably 90% of all the coins submitted for the Plus service have been slabbed before. That's a big chunck on resubmissions.

Now do you suppose it was just coincidence that these two companies just happened to come up with this new service ? Do you really believe, even for 1 second, that they did it to stop grade-flation ? Or - do you think it more likely they did it to boost income because there are very few classic being graded for the first time ?

I'll repeat my previous question - what is the goal of a business ?

You don't have to buy it Paul. All you have to do is use common sense and look at the evidence. The evidence that they are doing everything they can to boost their smallest source of income - because they have to.

18. Lehigh96

PCGS also claims that you can crossover an NGC coin into a PCGS holder. If you ask anyone who has ever tried to cross an NGC coin to PCGS you know how difficult it is. You also know that your chance at a cross increases dramatically if you simply crack the coin from it's NGC holder prior to submission. Of course the PCGS guys are going to claim publicly that the secure plus service does not always lock in the grade. But just try to get a plus coin upgraded without cracking it. Guess what, it ain't gonna happen and I don't care what they say. Do you really think it is in the PCGS business plan to erode their own consumer confidence by changing grades of coins they have previously graded?

We both know that the plus designation was intended to get collectors to resubmit their coins. Fighting gradeflation is a convenient selling point that the TPG's can use for the service. However, introducing the plus designation is not proof that the TPG's purposefully loosen their grading standards. I admit that they are taking steps to increase their resubmission revenues but "pushing the limits" of their grading standards is not one of those steps. But nice little spin job you did on that one.

19. GDJMSP

I used to be like you Paul, I had all the confidence in the world in the TPGs. I even used to do the same thing you do - if I questioned the grade on a slab I used to ask myself, OK, what'd I do wrong ?

Then I started comparing older slabs to newer slabs and I realized I wasn't wrong. You will too one day.

20. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Someone should do a poll - agree with Doug, agree with Paul, both have some truth I agree with. Those would be the options. I do like the discussion between the two of you all.

21. Lehigh96

Doug,

It is hard for me to dispute that gradeflation exists as a function of looser grading standards. What I don't believe is that the TPG's deliberately loosen their standards to increase revenues for either the regular market or resubmission market. At this point, you have not provided any proof that they are guilty of doing so.

My confidence in the TPG's is not blind. However, they are more accurate and more consistent than almost all of the collectors & dealers as well as some of the so called experts and industry leaders. Think about it! When someone disagrees with the assigned grade, what is their course of action. The send the coin back to get a different grade. That action in itself proves that the TPG grading opinion is the only one that matters. Resubmissions are caused not only by gradeflation but also by initial misgrading. Let's face it, sometimes they do make a mistake, and when they are low, someone profits from their mistake in the form of a crackout resubmission. When they are wrong high, they are forced to issue compensation.

That is the key to why they should hate gradeflation. If gradeflation goes unchecked for a long period of time, it becomes impossible for them to adjust because it will make them liable for huge sums of money under the grade guarantee. For this reason, I don't think we will ever see a return to the grading standards that you refer to. However, I think that the TPG's finally see the danger in gradeflation and understand that it represents a signficant financial danger and promoting it by "pushing the limits" in order to increase revenues of a shrinking revenue source is suicide. The plus designation is an ingenious idea that allows them to seek those revenues while not suffering the danger of gradeflation. I am not saying the plus designation will end gradeflation, but it surely will slow it down. Kinda like putting a toned coin in proper storage.

Draft saved Draft deleted