Guess the grade: 1936-S Bay Bridge

Discussion in 'Contests' started by 40_mila_kokkina, Feb 12, 2014.

?

This is a SEGS graded coin I submitted recently. What grade do you think it returned?

Poll closed Feb 15, 2014.
  1. Genuine/Details

6.7%
  2. AG-3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. G-4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. G-6

13.3%
  5. VG-8

20.0%
  6. VG-10

26.7%
  7. F-12

20.0%
  8. F-15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. VF-20

13.3%
  10. VF-25

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

I never would have th0ught that SEGS would be the far off the mark.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

I have to agree with you here. This was a blunder for them. But again, these type of coins are rarely graded so it wasn't as bad a flub as it could have been on their part, you know? Two people here did agree with it being VF-20 so maybe SEGS isn't totally off either. Just giving you my fifty cents regarding this matter ;).

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

How do you know they agreed with SEGS? You ask what SEGS graded it in your poll.

bkozak33 likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Employing elementary ANA standards of grading there is no way that coin would grade VF........

6. 40_mila_kokkina

I guess you have a point there however I think everyone knows here I slab with SEGS so it's fairly obvious.

7. 40_mila_kokkina

Again, like I say this is a more difficult coin to grade. Tell me how many specimens of Bay Bridge have you encountered lower than AU?

8. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I think green18 has seen pretty much every commemorative half under the sun... ;)

9. 40_mila_kokkina

I could believe that but every commemorative in highly circulated condition is another thing. These highly circulated coins aren't the most prevalent. It's cool to find one with this amount of circulation and I can say I've only seen one or two more worn specimens than this Bay Bridge online.

10. green18

Not many. Actually, yours is the first I've encountered. The fact that 'Liberty' (under the bear) is barely readable accounts for my feelings of grade. If there was a stronger presence of the word I'd have gone with F-12.......

40_mila_kokkina likes this.
  11. 40_mila_kokkina

I totally agree with you on this. Because "LIBERTY" was weak I decided to include AG-3 as a grade option in the poll but obviously all were knowledgeable enough to avoid that choice.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Interesting find. Actually, I have seen quite a few circulated old commemorative coins. Not super common, but they are out there. I have an 1892 Columbian Half that was circulated.

I have to agree I would grade this coin VG8. Horribly over-graded by the slabber. But, that's low tier TPGs for you.

13. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

14. CamaroDMD

I don't think it's cleaned. I actually think these old commemorative coins have a certain charm when they are circulated.

15. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

I wouldn't be able to tell using the available photos.

16. CamaroDMD

They aren't perfect...but I don't see any obvious signs in the photos. But, I could be wrong.

17. green18

I don't think it's been cleaned either.......

18. green18

Pocket piece for sure........

19. CamaroDMD

I was thinking the same thing.

20. 40_mila_kokkina

SEGS will grade cleaned coins but with the Sheldon Scale number and a note with an * stating it is a details coin.

21. 40_mila_kokkina

Thank you. Again, I've only seen one lower grade Bay Bridge specimen but I would have had to pony up over $100 for it and I wasn't interested in doing that.

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted