Guess the Grade: 1928-S Peace Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dimeguy, Apr 22, 2020.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Well, I admit I have been absent from posting on the forum for a couple of years, if not more though have been keeping up on some postings. I sadly admit I have not collected in 2 years as family issues have come up. However, the past week I did look through my collection and found I still need 3 Peace dollars to finish out the collection. I decided it was time to get back into the collecting world and purchased this beauty. I normally do not post photos. I am awful at taking them and, despite the wonderful encouragement in the past on this community forum, I always have the thought of "There are always better coins, so what do I have to show off" and I feel slightly embarressed by my "bragging," with modest photos. Still, I was excited so thought I would post a "Guess the Grade" thread of this 1928-S Peace dollar. I'll give it three days and then post result and thanks for looking.
    20200421_194353~2.jpg

20200421_194342~2.jpg

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I think the luster carries it to AU-58.

So what are the other two coins needed, and how long have you been working on the Peace set?

6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I started the Peace dollar collection in 2016. Took a break from 2018 till now. I need 1924 S and 1934 S. I also need the 1928 P but, like my 1916 D dime, will have to remain a hole as it is outside my comfort zone price-wise. I am trying for an AU to low MS with as little toning as possible. Found this one after a 5 minute search on Ebay and jumped on it. Thanks for asking.

David Betts likes this.
  7. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

8. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

9. CommemHalfScrub

CommemHalfScrub Active Member

10. LRC-Tom

LRC-Tom Been around the block...

I'd be at AU-53 also.

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

12. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I came to the conclusion that I cannot come close to the grade on Peace Dollars. On these, I can just never tell the difference between weak strike and the slightest of wear.

But I will guess MS60. (maybe details)

13. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Well looks AU something; as usual I have a terrible time judging field luster from photos, so will guess 55.
    Good to see you collecting and posting again, dimeguy!

15. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I'm taking a guess at AU53. This is difficult one as you have to balance wear with those surface hits.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

That's exactly what I was trying to do. I settled on AU 55 (but debated 53 vs 55).

17. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

18. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I am usually not a big fan of ANACS, often finding them overgrading compared to what I would do, but I really, really liked the coin and it seemed to fit so well in my current collection. That reverse just pops with good luster! So, given the pictures I took a bet on it and glad I did. Thanks for the encouragement and playing along.

ddddd and Tater like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted