Guess the Grade--1923 Peace Dollar NGC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Guess the assigned grade!

1. AU58

18.4%
  2. MS63

31.6%
  3. MS64

34.2%
  4. MS65

15.8%
  5. MS66

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Dave is a lot of things, but he is no dummy. If it were really a guise to boost submissions, do you really think he would write such a thing?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It didn't happen all of a sudden, it took years and years. The only thing that was sudden was the changing of the grades. One day they were 65's and the next day they were 63's.

There's a whole lot of them where I don't get involved already. There's a whole lot more where I only offer my estimate of grade - not what I thought the TPG said. And I never said trying to estimate grades from pictures is pointless Paul. I said my trying to prove anything to you with pictures is pointless. Big difference. And you bet I'll still continue. Why ? First and foremost because I enjoy it. Secondly because, contrary your apparent belief, many people seem to find my comments helpful. And thirdly because many people make a specific point of asking me to comment on a particular coin or subject.

I agree, always have.

Yeah, it's an apt analogy. Here's another one, I can't begin to tell you how many people there have been over the years that ask me to review almost every coin purchase they make. There's new folks doing the same thing week after week, year after year. Funny thing though, the TPGs don't ever ask me to come work for 'em. Imagine that :D

I rest my case.

It always seems that you try to lump things together that are entirely separate issues. There's two things here - one issue is that I, and others, believe that the TPGs have changed their grading standards. The evidence backs me up on this, the opinions of respected and recognized experts backs me up on this, and the opinions of many other experienced collectors backs me up on this.

Yet you have contiuously denied that the TPGs have changed their grading standards. Instead you would have us believe that it "just happens". That it is inherent in the grading process.

But yet you readily agree that the TPGs have intentionally changed their grading standards when it comes to moderns, key dates, coins of rarity, coins with certain pedigrees, attractively toned coins etc.

For the life of me I can't understand how you could agree with those things, yet say the rest of it "just happens".

An entirely separate issue is why the TPGs changed their grading standards. I believe they did it because of the profit motive. You say I am wrong. Fair enough, I can't prove what I think, and you can't prove I am wrong. It is an opinion on both sides.

But let me ask you - with these things and only these things : moderns, key dates, coins of rarity, coins with certain pedigrees, attractively toned coins : - why do you think they changed their standards ?

4. Leadfoot

p.s. G and Lehigh, I really wish you two could get past your animosity and discuss issues without all the emotion. I respect both of your opinions, but I just wish you would express them in a more understanding and less confrontational way.

5. Leadfoot

I think part of it (and a part not mentioned in this thread) is competition between grading companies. That's part of the reason NGC and PCGS have slightly different standards, IMO, and could partially explain why gradeflation has occurred.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Believe it or not I have no animosity towards Paul, I've always liked the guy and I have a great deal of respect for him. I also believe that many others respect him as well, as they should.

As for it seeming to be confrontational, I suppose it is. But then I don't know how to respond in any other way when someone has a point of view or opinion so directly opposite of my own.

Of course I usually get tired of beating my head against the wall and just stop responding and refuse to discuss the issue any more. But every time I do that then I am criticized for doing it.

Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.

A good point, and I have no doubt that it has had a bearing on the issue.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I will try to keep the emotion out of it, but Doug's posting style is such that it can drive you crazy. He has a tendency to use spin which really aggravates me and he never recognizes the merits of his opponents points.

In the end, we are both very stubborn and confrontation is inevitable when we disagree. I have a thick skin and it doesn't really bother me, but I aslo want to be sensitive to the readers of the thread. I think I have spent too much time on the PRWE and it has made me more aggressive in my posting style.

Draft saved Draft deleted