Guess the Grade... 1900-S Barber Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jun 15, 2015.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hello all,

I would like to hear some opinions on this 1900-S Barber Quarter. It is certified by one of the top 4 companies, but I'll hold off on naming which one for now. Also, these are the seller's photos, not my own. Finally, if you would like, name a price that you would pay based on this photo (no offers; this is not for sale; I'd just like to see some opinions of a fair value). Thank you and all responses are greatly appreciated!

barber 25c.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

MS 64, I'd pay up to 500. But then again, I am betting it could go for more. AU 55 is 180.00 or so.

4. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

AU53, would probably pay around $225

5. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Well, it's the type 3 hub, would be interesting to get one from each hub used in 1900. Nice transition year.

6. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

I can see some wear above libertys forehead , also looks like the bottom band is a bit weak in spots ..
    It's got a few to many hits on the obverse to be high MS..
    The reverse is pretty sharp though and overall the coin has good luster, so I'm gonna say AU55!

I like it , really nice coin !

7. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

First impression I had was higher AU.

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I'll go AU-53 because it still has most of it's luster .

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Au maybe a light cleaning

11. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Cool die crack around 4 and 5 on the obverse.

12. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I am with the rest of the pack. 53-55 AU. There's a bit of noise in some areas that might give it a 53, but it's a very clear and nice strike. I don't know the values of these, but I'm sure you can find it knowing the approximate grade.

Nice coin!

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Thanks for all the input! I'll let this run until the "big reveal" tomorrow.

14. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I'm at the AU-53 camp on this one.

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

the black gunk surrounding the stars on the reverse and the marks on the face and fields lead me to believe that the coin has been cleaned.

That said, I'd say AU details

17. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Au details, I wouldn't pay anything for it as the spot on face is distacting

Edit, I see Mike has same opinion

18. Barber dime 94s

I would say you guys are mistaken, this coin has seen nothing more than good honest wear!!
    Most , if not all circulated coins have imperfections.
    This coin has to much luster to have been cleaned.
    Seems the cleaned designation gets threw around a bit much here on CT...
    I hope to see the OPs grade of the coin, I mainly collect this series and to me this is a problem free AU55-58

19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I don't throw around the "cleaned" designation often, but I can understand if you see it on CT a lot.

I think you are the one that is mistaken, but that's the great thing about opinions... we all have our own.

If the coin has "wear", then it's not going to grade AU 58. I think you should re-think either your assessment or your grade.

In the case of this coin, on the reverse, there are dark outlines to the stars, these are evidence of a recent cleaning as the devices have protected the area closest to the stars and preserved the dark surfaces. There are also striations on the obverse of the coin, too obvious to be die polish lines and too long to be caused by something other than a wipe. I stand by my assessment.

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here is the seller's photo of the slab; I don't have the coin in hand yet, but I'll look at it more carefully to see if there are signs of cleaning.

barberICG.JPG

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  21. Barber dime 94s

Draft saved Draft deleted