Guess the Grade - 1859 3 Cent Silver Trime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, May 29, 2015.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

What do you think? It's not AT or a details coin.

1859 3 Cent Silver Trime.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

4. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

These tone dark I'll say Au and natural tone

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Unc, possibly 63 natural

7. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I would guess 63 as well.
    I find these tricky to grade.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

63 and I wonder if it's a proof.

9. Treashunt

I was wondering the same thing, but the rim just isn't there.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm not sure we are seeing all the rims. Is it in a slab?

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I will go with the 63 also.

12. BigTee44

Yea. It's in an older NGC holder. Needs to go into a new edge view holder.

13. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

AU55 at least.....

14. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

obv-64, rev-58 -- old ngc, i'll go 63 but probably 58

the roman numerals are a bit smooth it seems at quick glance

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I like the look, but am disturbed by the horizontal lines in the shield, which appear not to be straight. It makes me wonder of the coin has been bent and expertly flattened.

16. DieHard11

DieHard11 Member

MS60 perhaps, unless it was warped and someone carefully corrected it. They tended to bend, sometimes by the die pressure.

17. BigTee44

I think this one is going to try for a regrade and see what happens.

I'm clueless on this series and the old NGC holder makes it hard to see all the details.

image.jpg

So based on the pics and the grade, who can see what makes this a 60?

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  18. Treashunt

Not a 60 to me

19. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

it could go for 63, but on the reverse is kinda lack of detail on the arrows and leaves

20. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Nice clash too on the obv.! I like the coin but was not far off with the Au. guess.

21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

There is a touch of what look like wear on the leading edge of a couple of the star points, most noticeably at 4 and 6 o'clock. However, the wear doesn't extent into the shield which is the actual high point.

On the reverse there is a little bit of wear on the diamond and the high point of the ribbon, which I'd classify as cabinet friction.

[ If you don't recognize the items in the C the center is the diamond (9 o'clock), then the 3 orbs top and bottom and then finally the top and bottom bars) - these are very reliable indicators of wear on a DECENT strike (weak strikes, esp. the 51Os can have no orbs and no bars). It's harder to tell on a weak strike like this (missing orbs and just a hint of the bars) ]

With that, it should grade AU55, but 3CS are not one of the strong suits of any TPG and I have no surprise at the MS60.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here - guesses, no way to prove this...

Type 1 3CS are also known for horribly overused dies. The 18.66M 1852s were struck from only 109 obverse and 94 reverse dies. Almost 200K/die. In 1857 (Type 2) it was 1M from 18 reverse dies and in 1861 (Type 3) 497K from 16 dies (Flynn&Zack give #s for years where known). So 30K-50K is more normal for later years.

Weak strikes on 59s are NOT the norm. This was however the first year of production of the type 3s. Note that there is also a tiny bit of the sharp lines from the facets of the diamonds showing top to bottom and left to right. The sharp lines usually show up only in the early strikes from a reverse die. Usually only visible on really nice, high mint state 3CS (I've see one set on an MS67 that you could shave with).

It could be that what we are looking at is an early die state of the early part of the 1859 run.

And now I'll step back and let people who really know what they are talking about correct me.

miedbe7 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted