GUESS THE GRADE 1823 CAP BUST 50 CENT

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Southpawdon, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Southpawdon

Southpawdon Member

I just acquired this coin and would appreciate grade and value opinions. I am putting together a type set (what a project, especially for my budget) and need just over 50 of the 110 that I used to define my set. I will provide the TP picture in 2 days. Thanks if you participate. Hope the pictures are sufficient. Taken from an Ipad.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

XF details, cleaned.

Or straight VF35. Can't make up my mind.

The coin obviously has had an old cleaning, though whether or not NGC deemed that market-acceptable and straight-graded it, I do not know. Bust halves do seem to get some leeway from the TPGs for that.

I like mine a bit more grey, but there's nothing wrong with that one as a type coin, even if they called it cleaned.

Are you doing the type set in a Dansco 7070 or similar album, and cracking some coins like this out of slabs, or are you doing an all-slab set or even a Registry collection?

Magnus87 likes this.
  4. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with lordmarcovan

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

VF35 cleaned

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

XF40 details. They may have dropped the grade and straight graded it.

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Exactly. Which is what made me say

earlier.

longshot likes this.
  10. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

What everyone said, "cleaned" being the operative word..

12. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

13. Southpawdon

Southpawdon Member

Again, I thank everyone for their responses. Here are the pictures of the graded coin. VF 30 but no cleaning comment. If the TPG did reduce the grade to reflect cleaning then I must rethink my no "details, environmental, cleaned" criteria for the type set. When purchased I also thought it may have been cleaned, but because it was no so indicated in the grading I purchased the coin....another live and learn, but I do like how the coin presents. Hopefully I did not overpay.

Attached Files:

longshot likes this.
  14. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Choice VF details, cleaned.

Maybe it's the picture, the color really looks washed out, like the surfaces have been stripped. it's got that white pasty look.

This is a higher grade coin, but it might give an idea of how a more original looking coin should look. This coin has been dipped, but the surfaces have luster left on them.

1824HalfDollarO.JPG 1824HalfDollarRJPG.jpg

15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Yes the coin was certainly cleaned, but apparently not harshly enough to prevent a straight grade. My criteria is similar to yours, however when I really like a coin which was lightly cleaned and net graded, I’d still buy it.

Just be aware that not every coin with a numerical grade on the label has 100% original surfaces. That’s why some of us are actively looking for coins in old holders, preferably with a CAC sticker. It seems net grading is done more commonly now than a decade ago...

Rheingold likes this.
  16. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

I say 35. Hard to grade cleaned tho'...

ed.:
    30 ? That's harsh. Think they pulled points for cleaning ?

Draft saved Draft deleted