Guess the Characteristic (GTC#2 Insider)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Insider, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Here we go again - slow day. Hopefully harder and there is a clue in the second image.

What is the characteristic (dark mark) on the rim of the peace dollar?

Answer Saturday or Sunday.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I don't know what it's called but a guess would be a broken piece of die stuck to the coin when struck.

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Contaminated planchet. Not sure, but I would guess this would be considered a lamination all-be-it a funky one.

5. Ryan Barnhardt

Ryan Barnhardt ICG Customer Service

6. Ryan Barnhardt

Ryan Barnhardt ICG Customer Service

Thanks for the PM info. How about a Struck Through error.

7. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Alrighty - since my first thought was totally wrong how 'bout a solder mark from where a bezel contact was removed?

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

what will I not win this time?

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

10. Insider

Knowledge and my esteem o_O. Not a plug. Generally, they are round and go completely through a coin.

11. Insider

This is a detached lamination. I need to wait until Monday to post images of the missing piece.

Clues to solve this GTC: The dark area is "into" the rims surface. You will see a thin jagged line from the base of the lamination running thru the "ST" and into the rim. This part did not come off yet. Notice the "raised border" around the missing piece. That's probably because it was removed roughly. Once the piece was removed the underlying surface can be seen. It is dark from oxidation. The image tomorrow of the piece will also be dark on its underside and normal silver color on the top.

I'm going to try ONE MORE of these contests with a poll as they take too much of my time and that of the unnamed person SENDING THESE GTC's TO ME for my education and as a teaching aid that I'm passing on.:angelic:

Unfortunately, many take a look but few play so it appears not many are really interested in this type of contest. :facepalm::bigtears::bigtears: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

The only winners are those who play...no matter if their answer is correct or not. ;)

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Insider

This is a detached lamination error.

Clues to solve this GTC: See OP above for photos The dark area is "into" the rims surface. You will see a thin jagged line from the base of the lamination running thru the "ST" and into the rim. This part did not come off yet. Notice the "raised border" around the missing piece. That's probably because it was removed roughly. Once the piece was removed the underlying surface can be seen. It is dark from oxidation. The image tomorrow of the piece will also be dark on its underside and normal silver color on the top.

I'm going to try ONE MORE of these contests with a poll as they take too much of my time and that of the unnamed person SENDING THESE GTC's TO ME for my education and as a teaching aid that I'm passing on.:angelic:

Unfortunately, many take a look but few play so it appears not many are really interested in this type of contest. :facepalm::bigtears::bigtears: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

The only winners are those who play...no matter if their answer is correct or not. ;)

Attached Files:

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I was going to say detached lamination! You ended it too early lol. :)

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I knew it the minute I saw it, especially in the wider-angle second pic, showing the adjacent lam. Definitely keep that piece that came off. Good documentation of this error-type.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Insider

Good eye @eddiespin

I was going to mention that in the answer (the wide shot added that clue) but because of no interest....

Draft saved Draft deleted