Guess the album - three toned Lincoln Cents

Discussion in 'Contests' started by stldanceartist, Aug 25, 2014.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hey everyone!

Just picked up a great "bargain bin" partial album at the LCS, and since the toning on many of the cents was soooo crazy, I thought it might be fun to have a contest. I'll post the pictures of the coins, and you tell me what brand of album they're from. :)

One guess per person.

First person to correctly name the brand of album these cents were in will win at least one coin from the album (not these three, sorry, but they are all UNC..) (I might prefer the prize to go to a YN, so if you have one in mind you'd like to nominate, feel free - but you're also welcome to keep the prize for yourself!)

Winner should PM me a safe shipping address and I'll have the prize in the mail before I go on vacation on Thursday.

Good luck!

1941 P "Woody"

1941 Lincoln Cent.jpg

1941 S - Small S

1941 S Lincoln Cent.jpg

1942 P

1942 Lincoln Cent.jpg

geekpryde likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Good photos. Weird / fun toning.

4. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

5. stldanceartist

Sorry! Thanks for guessing!

6. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Wayte Raymomd

stldanceartist likes this.
  7. stldanceartist

Correct! Way to go!

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

:) Cheapest cardstock paper, highest sulfur content. His albums are highly sought after for that reason , especially the Morgan one.

9. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Wouldn't the sulfur content wear off over 30-50 years

10. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

(As Usual) thanks for the contest!

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The sulfur ( sulfides) was part of the paper production ( Kraft process). Yes, portions of the chemical was lost over time, and some cardboard producers tried to limit the yellowing by using a finishing process which blocked some of the effect. Some people tried to enhance toning by searching for old paperback books ( dime novels which were printed on the cheapest paper) , and insert coins between the pages. This generally produces toning all over the coin whereas if the coin is in a window in older albums, the edges will tone more than the centers.

Draft saved Draft deleted