Guatemala

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Siberian Man, May 8, 2021.

1. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

But where's that GORGIOUS TAIL? ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Some of these look like game tokens.

Siberian Man likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Thank you for the presentation. Two of my stepdaughters are from Guatemala, and I shall refer this thread to them.

Siberian Man likes this.
  6. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

Siberian Man, thanks for taking the time to photograph your collection of this country's coins. I love the classic beauty of many of them and the 25 centavo, silver, 1956 piece is so different it's a beauty as well. Enjoyed this post.

Siberian Man likes this.
  7. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

25 centavos 1943, silver .720, weight - 8,333 g., size - 27 mm, thickness - 1,9 mm, mintage - 150000 pcs. Such coins were released at 1943 & 1944 (moreover, the coins issued in 1944 were minted with the date "1943", mintage was 750000 pcs. It is not possible to determine in which year the presented coin was issued). Demonetized at January 6 1997.
    39.jpg 40.jpg

Chris B and robinjojo like this.
  8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Some wonderful coins everyone, thanks for posting. I have one that turned up in change here in Spain
    DSC01487.jpg DSC01488.jpg

9. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

10. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I have had this Guatemala coin since 1964 and it looks like the reverse is double-struck.

[​IMG]
    Guatemala silver 50 cents 1962
    Silver, 30 mm, 12.08 gm
    Monja Blanca Flor Nacional (White Nun National Flower)

:)

11. Siberian Man

50 centavos 1963, silver .720, weight - 12 g., size - 31 mm, mintage - 350000 pcs. Philadelphia Mint (USA). Such coins were released at 1962 & 1963 Demonetized at June 1 1997.
    41.jpg 42.jpg

robinjojo and princeofwaldo like this.
  12. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of Guatemalan but got this at auction a few years ago, it is an essai and fairly rare I believe (it also appears that the "hairlines" are planchet prep lines and were "struck out" by die pressure on the devices):

tempImageSPYrZx.png tempImageQ2mzZw.png

Mintage: about 10 pcs.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  13. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

14. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Back in the 1980's and into the 90s I was a big collector of Spanish colonial and Latin America republic coins. Some coins came from Freeman Craig, others from Rick Ponterio, as well as other sources.

I focused on the pillar 8 reales coinage during this time. I have many coins that need to be photographed.

Here's one from that period of collecting. It is an 8 reales, Guatemala, 1770, assayer P, purchased from a Ponterio auction in the late 80's.

Note the die clash on the reverse. This is not terribly unusual for this crude coinage. As can be seen, in this high grade example, the dies were used to their limits, and often beyond.

D-Camera Guatemala 8 reales, pillar type, 1770, Ponterio, 6-16-20.jpg

I think the sun over mountains coinage of the Republic of Guatemala is one of the most attractive designs of the first half of the 19th century. I'll try to take some snaps of the two examples that I have.

Chris B and Siberian Man like this.
  15. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I love those little 1/4 reals. I have a few myself.

16. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

A couple not yet featured:

Guatemala ½ centavo 1932 (3).jpg Guatemala 1 quetzal 2000 (3).jpg

17. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I took a few snaps of the one quetzal, 1925, that I have owned since 1993, purchased from Karl Stephens in December of that year. This coin grades choice EF.

As these coins go, this is a decent example, free of any hairlines. There are a few minor contact/circulation marks on both sides. The one quetzals of 1925 had a mintage of 10,000 pieces. In 1932 some 7,000 were reportedly melted, netting approximately 3,000 surviving coins.

This coin weighs 33.26 grams

Eliz-143, KM-242

D-Camera Guatemala  1 quetzal, 1925  rare 33.26g K Stephens 12-93 Eliz-143, KM-242 12-15-21.jpg

princeofwaldo and Siberian Man like this.
  18. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

Here's my 1896 quarter real. I like the obverse a lot, simple and elegant and with the cutest little puff of smoke. Saw it in an ebay auction last year and did what I had to do. Cuarto de Real Guatemala 1896_02.jpg Cuarto de Real Guatemala 1896_03.jpg

princeofwaldo likes this.
  19. Siberian Man

2 reales 1898, silver. 835, weight - 6,2 g., size - 24 mm, mintage - 5172000 pcs. Engraver: Jean Lagrange. Casa de Moneda de Guatemala. Such coins were released at 1894-99. Demonetized at November 26 1924.
    43.jpg 44.jpg

princeofwaldo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted