Featured GUATEMALA: Comite Bancario 1899 Un Peso; Peru Stamp on Back

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by wlwhittier, May 2, 2019.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Peripheral Member

The most interesting thing about this note (for me) is the Peru 4 Centavo stamp on the reverse. Is it a Revenue stamp, or simply a Postage stamp gone astray?

Then there's the question of condition...and why this note has been (apparently) carried for so long; folded & unfolded countless times to the point of horizontal rupture and other imminent crease & corner failures. It tells a story, if only it could talk. It was very important, to someone.

Based on a quick reading of PMG Grading Scale, I'll risk an 8, but it might only be a 6...it is absolutely flaccid of course, and faded as well.

All comments welcome...and thanks! wlw

fullsizeoutput_53e3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_53e2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_53e1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_53df.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_53e0.jpeg

This summary from PMG website:
    Face Color: Black on gray underprint.
    Face Type: Steamship at lower left, arms between seated Liberty and Justice at
    upper center, steam passenger train at lower right.
    Back Color: Orange-brown.
    Printer: HBNC (without imprint).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Lovely vignettes....The era when Steam was King. A Steamship on the left and a Steam Locomotive on the right. I’ve seen stamps used on Checks so I guess it could be legit, but four cents was huge back then.

4. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

The stamp was put on the back to stop the center split at the bottom from getting worse.

Nothing more.

As you can see, more postage was needed because a split developed horizontally along the fold line...

OH and I like the note... I'd actually remove the stamp with a little water and patience. What's one more split at this point?

wlwhittier and Dave M like this.
  5. wlwhittier

Yep! I do believe you're correct...good call!

I'm gonna leave it as found...it's not a keeper, for me. The next owner may find the story sufficiently appealing to keep the stamp where it is.

Often, the simple answer is best...you nailed it. Thanks! wlw

6. wlwhittier

Last edited: May 3, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted