GTG Yes Another 1880 S

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

s-l1600-7-1.jpg s-l1600-11.jpg Yeah I just pulled the trigger on yes another 1880-S Morgan.
    This specimen has a few hidden secrets yes it's slabbed in an older slab type holder. GTG and the Vam, sellers pictures so yes I know they aren't the greatest . But in 24 +/- hours around Corona time I will post the grade.
    @heavycam.monstervam
    @Cascade
    @SuperDave
    @messydesk
    And all the other vamers :)

Skyman, jello, ddddd and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Looks like a solid 64 tentatively. Need better pics though. Don't think it'll make PL but close.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The back's really nice. The front is nice, but not like the back. No PL. Looks like 64-65 territory from the pictures. The grade on the holder could be almost anything, as it's probably and old ACG holder.

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I think I can see mirrors on this one, the obverse toning making it tougher to see,
    Looks like a 64 PL to my eyes...
    Awesome coin Paddy!
    I've had too many coronas with salt(oddly enough) and just started drinking KY sour mash, I'll hafta try to vam it tommorow

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I'm not a Vammer, Paddy, but I think you're looking at a 65. Nice one. It might PL.

Paddy54 likes this.
  8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

That might make trying to photo vam an 80s easier lol

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. royster

royster southroy

Very nice Coin Paddy! The reverse is well struck and looks like it might be PL the obverse is harder to tell but Anna looks quite nice IMHO 65. I found this on Twitter Peter T Davis post and cannot wait for the results!:cigar:

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I will go 65 PL.

I cant tell the VAM, however, it is a C3 type large S but I cant tell if its doubled, maybe the upper loop? Also I can see from the obv pic that the 0 is doubled at the top. With just those two facts it's too difficult to say what the VAM is based on these pics. I'd need to see doubling somewhere else, or the lack of to say for sure.

11. Evan8

Wait looking again i think i see a doubled profile. Ok so my VAM guess is VAM 71

12. Paddy54

This one is a cool find .....I'm not going to give it away yet but .....I believe the coin to be very close to it's grade as listed. And there's a little something extra that came with this one..... that's why I had to have.

13. Paddy54

I agree with the large S and upper loop filled or a repunch.
    The date is what I've been looking at as the higher 1 ,the first 8 more rounded than oval, the second 8 more oval and the thickness in the upper loop. Next the 0 is oval flat at the top and has two small bumps at 11 and 1 .
    These 80 S Morgan can be fun to vam. Trial and error :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Evan8 likes this.
  14. Evan8

The bumps at 11 and 1 is the doubling i am seeing from your pic. Problem is, several VAMs show that doubling on the 0. I may have missed something but i havent found a VAM showing the filled S quite like yours.

I could be seeing things but I think i see a doubled profile, more at the tip of the nose, which is why i thought 71 was a good guess

15. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I think I can see where you are going with this Paddy, and although my vision is a bit blurry , I think you may be right in your assessment.
    Well hafta wait and see , w better photos/when u get it in-hand

16. Paddy54

Gee Heavy I'm glad I'm driving lol......:)

17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I like it as a strong 64. Been awake since 4 and at work since 5AM, just getting home, so I'm a bit too irritable to try to VAM an 1880-S tonight. :p

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. Paddy54

The plot thickens...... as a well known member here had this coin about 17 months ago. Perhaps they are the one whom just sold it? Maybe not.... but it shows what a little research and detective work can get you . I believe that I have figured out the history behind this coin . Some what ... stay tuned.

19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I just got home. My guess for grade would be 65PL on the holder. I don't think it would get the same PL today, but the grade may stay if you were to crack and submit.

Paddy54 likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

21. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Easy 64 and quite possibly 65 and if it's an old Accugrade I'll wager PL.

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted