GTG Ugliest coin ever made added to my type set :D

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrweaseluv, Aug 1, 2021.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

The coin....not the person. Sheeesh.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The SBA dollar is not ugliest U.S. coin. This one has it beat. It's the Capitol Visitors Center commemorative half dollar. The red marks are not on the coin; they are from the red light on my camera. They make this ugly coin look better.

When I first saw this coin, which came in a set I bought from the mint, I thought that the obverse was damaged.

CapVis All.jpg

mrweaseluv likes this.
  4. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Just a little heads up.. Very very few Male Witches such as myself use the term "warlock" The reason why is simple... Extreme negative conotations...
    The title presently is used to denote a male user of the "black" arts. For that reason the majority of us prefer the unisex term "Witch" :D
    Warlock:
    Origin

Old English wǣrloga ‘traitor, scoundrel, monster’, also ‘the Devil’, from wǣr ‘covenant’ + an element related to lēogan ‘belie, deny’. From its application to the Devil, the word was transferred in Middle English to a person in league with the Devil, and hence a sorcerer. It was chiefly Scots until given wider currency by Sir Walter Scott.

Sorry for the lecture... is a personal pet peeve :D

charley likes this.
  5. charley

Yikes.....I don't want trouble. My Mom was Irish and spoke Gaelic and called the male spell casters Warlocks and the female gender Witches. Being Catholic, I am scared, now. Then again, she didn't like the Scots much, ever since that whole Robert the Bruce thing. She claimed he was a Witch, though, so I stand corrected. Because, wait....my Mom was right, you are a Witch.
    I apologize. I will endeavor to use the proper I.D. in our future exchanges. BTW, how about them Puritans? They have a nerve....
    I like Leprechauns, though, the little rascals. Always up to something against us humans.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  6. mrweaseluv

No trouble :D I just cringe every time i hear that word, I'd rather let a person know "why" we don't like that word rather then get all uppity about it. :D No harm done. Better to educate then to scream and pull hair :D

charley likes this.
  7. charley

I took it in the "spirit" intended, "witch" I usually do. Fun stuff.
    Any cat familiars? I saw the movie Bell, Book and Candle, and Kim had one. She also called her brother Jack Lemmon a Warlock. Times change.

8. mrweaseluv

My familiar Ms PITA recently passed at the age of 22 :( I miss her a lot but her replacement has yet to show up) This is her last pic... 20210503_233216.jpg

9. CygnusCC

CygnusCC Roping the Learns Supporter

My little sister was dating a guy who's old country Italian grandmother claimed my family were witches (a family of "strega") based on our surname and that he should stay away from us. It's strange because the family name is of Swiss origin, but I guess the family reputation must have spread back then. They broke up soon after.

I always found that interesting and would have liked to have learned more - there are no family stories passed down about it from grandfather (that I'm aware of) but I always thought it added a certain cachet to the family tree. (even better if I had found someone who was)

Then again it could be that the old woman just didn't like my sister...

Hookman, mrweaseluv and charley like this.
  10. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I think you'll find that people actually and often mean both.

11. charley

Good story. I lived in Naples and Venice a couple of years when I was young, and immediately understood the "Strega" magic conjurer reference. Once the old women issue an edict in Italy , that is it. That relationship was doomed.

12. CygnusCC

CygnusCC Roping the Learns Supporter

Apparently so, it ended pretty quickly at that point, from what I understand.

charley likes this.
  13. charley

Oh. Well, in that case, I think I will shame anybody that does that. It is a thing.

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

So true! And you must admit, it’s a pretty bewitching coin! Ain’t a soul here would turn that one down.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Exactly.

Hookman and ewomack like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

It definitely is a craptastic, lazy design. I just acquired two of the coins, oddly enough.

17. lordmarcovan

22. Wow.

18. mrweaseluv

Yeah I got her 8weeks old in april 99 from the pound no less, she just passed in june 2021.. 22years plus a lil... she was a damn good cat

CygnusCC and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

She's better looking than the eagle.

ewomack, charley and mrweaseluv like this.
  20. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

My sense of humor is often under-appreciated. My comment was meant facetiously, thus the "For Shame" derisive chastisement and the non-sensical and non-committal "famous relative of someone famous" description.

charley likes this.
  21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sense of humor… what’s that?

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted