GTG - Shield Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by USS656, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Without having the coin in hand from the images it's hard to tell for sure. But yes but in a earlier die state.
    I can only go on what I can see from the op ' s images. But date placement as well as date style. The 82 shield had quite a few filled digits . Most that you see the 2 looks to be a glob of number that resembles a 2. Some do has die chips protruding from the 2. They are not full cut digits .
    Placement of the 8 to the ball as well as the connection to the ball from the top of the 8. The 8 does not touch the ball but looks to be connected by a line or dash. Also look at the tail of the two. You can see a clear cut 2 yet above the tail there's another part of the repunch underlying 2.
    The op needs to be our eyes on this one until other images with better shots can be obtained .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Can you confirm USS656 any of my statements above? I believe that I do see a shadow under the base of the one. As well as artifacts of repunched date in the 8's as well as the two.
    This is why I love shields , you never know what you'll find.

4. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I'll get better pictures today

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice pickup. I think it would be a 63 depending on the luster and such.

6. USS656

Paddy. Just looked at it under a microscope at work and the date looks clean. I'll still get better pictures up later today.

7. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

MS 62 . PCI might call it a 63.

8. USS656

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Still a nice coin. The 2 looks like it would eventually turn into a filled 2.

USS656 likes this.
  10. Paddy54

The new image's I will have to retract my original post of being a FS-05-1882-302. Your images were deceiving and I must admit this would not be the first time that plexiglass and digital photos have failed me.
    All is not lost ....I will go into that a few sentences down.
    The lighting as well as the plastic does play tricks.I also find digital cameras sometime play tricks too.
    Case in point, a member here and myself found an 1867 shield on the bay.
    Both of us were convicted that it was the FS-1867-301 or 302 variety . This variety has a 7 that is due east of the primary 7. We pulled the trigger and made the purchase .
    We both saw what we both believed to be the free floating 7. We received the coin and the 7 wasn't there! Every other mark on the coin checked out as to it was the coin that was pictured. So every mark that was in the image was one the coin but no free floating 7. So it was the coin we purchased . Bad images can fool you and they also can help you.because if you take the chance sometimes your on the money.
    From your first images I seen what my eyes said we're the FS-05-1882-302 I compared it to images I have as well as the write up. Yes I was wrong.
    I'm going to try and post a side by side of a image of the 302 to the original image so you can see how close it looks.
    Now I do believe yours is an rpd. There are several.
    One must realize that in the 1882 shield most of the twos are filled. You'll find very few open tows.
    There is one an FS-05-1882-999 that's not a variety , in fact a dealer friend of mine has one in his case marked as an over date.We have argued many times as he's wrong. This one fools a lot of people who don't know shields.
    He has it listed as an 1883/2 it is not and again we argue every show.
    Back to the nickel in question , I believe it to be a repunch , I will post one of mine like my dealer friend has as a reference . This will show you how most 8's have the twos filled.
    Using your new image's I will again read through all the varieties listed to nail it down as to what one it is.
    The price point you paid I would gladly pay for a nickel as posted. You got a deal. Give me a few to finish up today's work and read through my references . And let's see if the new image's ring true to an repunched date.

11. Paddy54

For the 1882 shield nickel there are 21 known varieties .
    Ok....after looking at the new image's here's what I found.
    The 1882 17.5 seems to fit the bill.
    The 17.5 variety has the following
    Repunching is seen southeast on the "insides" of both 8's, the date is not punched very clearly . There is a die break from "God" that connects to the outer leaf on the first left cluster. Rarity is" Unique" an R-8 F#-04
    Again you have coin in hand can you see the above description ?
    From you new image's it seems to have nailed it. The die crack going to the first left leaf cluster is the clincher.
    What say you?

12. Paddy54

Correct Mark this is an early die state in my opinion also. And as a shield collector yourself how many open or semi open twos do you run across ?

13. Paddy54

I still see a shadow under the one ,is there anyway you can get a closer date shot? This is a repunched date . I'm sure it is....my question is it a earlier die state of the first variety that I believed it to be.

14. Paddy54

Here's what you normally find when searching 1882 shields. a filled 2 and some have this die chip protruding out around this area. This is NOT an over date as many believe. It is my belief that this is a later die state of this die. Again remember most working dies for shields only lasted 10K or less 1882 date.jpg 1882 die chip 2.jpg strikes before they blew.

15. Paddy54

Have a look at the areas marked or pointed out in red. Some very interesting areas to study with the coin in hand or under a scope. This is your coin copied. CT image 1882 shield.jpg

16. USS656

I'll try a little later. Thanks for looking

17. USS656

Really as good as I can do with the equipment I have. I did remove any small flakes of plastic before putting the coin back into the airtite. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Paddy54

I believe it is the 17.5. But if you're not happy with the coin you can send it my way. :) You did extremely well at $51.00. I buy it in a heart beat. If you want I can give you Howard 's contact information at shieldnickels.com if you want to send it in.

19. USS656

Thanks Paddy. The sellers photos really made the deal what it was. Sometimes it's worth the gamble. The only shield I have is really rough and I wanted a better example. I don't think I could have done any better for the price. :D

20. Paddy54

You really did good and now since it's born free, I say MS 64 it truly is hard to get good images through plastic. Howard does not charge for attibution just postage to and from. Besides he is always up dating his data bank. I have I believe three credits for my finds on his data bank.
    If time allows check out shieldnickels.net Warning once you get hooked you're done for.....

21. USS656

PM me his info, I'll reach out to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted