GTG: Peace, Morgan, and Lincoln

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Apr 20, 2016.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Details what, everyone? Cleaned? Damaged? BTW, it got a straight grade. They all did.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I thought this was the VAM 6B...?

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The Peace Dollar is 66 all day.

The Morgan probably made 65 easily, 66 at a stretch. It's an interesting coin, in the VAM-6 family, I *think* VAM-6B with the double clash. Look for the clashed "n's" next to the neck - 6VNA is a later die state with them worn off and the die starting to sink. If the n's are there it's 6B.

I don't really think the Lincoln is original. The border between "bright" and "dark" has the appearance of flaking plating in too many places.

5. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

To me the color is way off giving it the improper cleaned look

6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The Lincoln cent just has that look, like it was spray painted gold and then it circulated about a month and the gold paint at the highest points has rubbed off. To me it is a low AU, AU50 - AU53 if it's not UNC. If it is UNC then I could not see it going above MS61.

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Peace 66
    Morgan 65+
    Lincoln 61 rb not a series I ever buy tho so it's a pure guess

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Results in an hour.

Here's a hint: All of you are right and all of you are wrong. ;)

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

11. pfg1961

pfg1961 New Member

12. pfg1961

pfg1961 New Member

Well at least i was close on the lincoln. Other two must have been graded on a monday, when he had a hangover :)

Stevearino likes this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I actually agree with your grade guesses. Dead on.

14. SuperDave

Ludicrous undergrades, or your images are deceptive. And your images are excellent. :) No wonder they both got Gold Beans.

And I still don't like the Lincoln. The delineations are too sharp, especially at the cheekbone and beard. Doesn't look "worn," it looks "flaked."

Stevearino likes this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The images are accurate on the dollars. I'm not hiding anything and I agree they are both MS65 or MS64. That Peace Dollar is in a newish holder, too. Perhaps from 2 years ago. The Lincoln was apparently good enough to not only CAC, but gold CAC! It has the luster and color in hand of a MS coin, but too many marks. I actually thought it was undergraded at AU55.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  16. SuperDave

My only worry about the Peace Dollar were the fine lines across the obverse; they're on the coin, not the slab, so I'd have believed 65 for it as a result. And I've seen far worse than that Morgan in a 65 slab.

Cascade and C-B-D like this.
  17. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Seriously? Wow.

Even in my infantile knowledge of grading, I would have snatched up that Morgan and the Peace in a heartbeat. I hope they were priced at those grades?

Even if not, you bought some *very* nice coins!

C-B-D likes this.
  18. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The Morgan I bought off eBay for $62 and sent it to CAC myself. The Peace dollar I paid $200 for. It was already gold CAC'd but I couldn't pull my money out fast enough. The Lincoln I bought for $21 and sent to CAC myself. Hard to believe, but I got 2 gold CAC's in one order!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Cascade likes this.
  19. SuperDave

You ain't lyin.' I'd have elbowed you out of the way for it. :)

On top of everything else, a Peace Dollar with toning that pleasing is a rare bird. You'll do all right on them all. :)

Cascade and C-B-D like this.
  20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

That's a heavy bag IMO....even with the CAC sticker, which completely blows my mind.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Damn. Somebody was robbed on that peace dollar! At $200 you're darn lucky you saw it first :)

Draft saved Draft deleted