GTG Pair of Trade Dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Jun 23, 2019.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Hey all,
    Here are two interesting Trade Dollars from the same year and mint. Please guess the grade of each and which one do you think sold for more?

1)
    714015-1.jpg

2) 721343-1.jpg

longshot and Autoturf like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Xf 45 cac for the first.
    Au 50 for the second.
    Both grades depend on when they were graded as pcgs can be all over on trades but lately they’ve been really strict. I think the first sold for more

Seattlite86 and Santinidollar like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

First AU50
    Second AU53

Price coin 1 369 Dollars
    Price coin 2 389 Dollars

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I have them both in the low/mid AU Range, but I'd probably pay more for the second one. The first one has too many distracting scratches for my liking. The halos around the stars on the second one make me worry it was cleaned.

Rheingold likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll guess 55 and 58. I like the second coin the most.

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

Get your guesses in before the reveal...

9. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

AU 50 first coin
    AU 55 second coin

10. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

50 and 50.

Second one is CAC green and sold for more.

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

Coin 1: UNC Details - Environmental Damage...sold for $552.38
    Coin 2: AU 58 w/ CAC...sold for $502.88

Some thoughts:
    ~I thought the two coins were fairly close in appearance.
    ~I favored the look of coin 1 (the details one) slightly more.
    ~I thought the details example was a good opportunity to pick up a decent Trade Dollar at a discount due to the holder, but it seems a few others also saw it was a decent coin and bid it up

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/714015/1878-S-Trade-Silver-Dollar-PCGS-Genuine-Unc-Details
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/721343/1878-S-Trade-Silver-Dollar-PCGS-AU-58-CAC

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Mainebill

Pcgs been all over on these. I’d have bought the details cracked if out and sent it back. Probably go straight next try. I’m sure that’s what others were thinking

13. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

The cynic in me says the first one will be dipped, ATed, and straight graded in a few months.

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

Would you have paid the $552.38 that the details one went for (or more, in order to outbid the person who won it)?

15. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

I’m no expert and was late to the post so I didn’t get to guess the grade initially, but I thing the second coin (au58) has less wear on the obverse than the first coin (UNC) particularly in the hair, liberty’s left breast and the drapery folds on the leg/knee. As those are the high points, I find it interesting that the coin with more circulation wear graded higher. The reverses look too close to call for me. As for surfaces, too tough to tell in a photo about cleaning, etc.

16. Mainebill

That might have been stronger than I’d have been probably have taken a shot at around $400. I still don’t see it over au. The second coin I’d have likely bought. I like it better anyway

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted