GTG on this 1943 Walking Liberty Half Dollar

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jtlee321, May 5, 2015.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here is the first of a couple of recent purchases on eBay.

1943 Walking Liberty Half Dollar Obverse.jpg 1943 Walking Liberty Half Dollar Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It looks nice. MS-something.

5. Patrick King

Patrick King Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, PCGS hates marks on the sun, i'll call it a nice 65.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

7. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Late die state?

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

These dies were really worked over. I love these later die states for the way they reflect. I don't think the TPGs give these better than MS65, though, if they even give them that, but I may be wrong.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice strike, nice thumb.

I'd go no higher than 65

11. jtlee321

And Rim's Cents is the winner!!!
    1943 Walking Half PCGS Label.jpg

12. jtlee321

In hand the luster on this walker just drips... It has an almost wet look to it. The guy I bought it from had really bad photos of it. I was able to get him down to $130.00 plus free shipping on it. It does have a bit of a weak strike, but I can get over that. Overall I'm very happy with it.
    1943 Walker eBay photo.JPG

13. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I have a whole lot less of a problem with this 66 than the dime's 67. The only "surprise", if you can call it that, is the lack of a markdown for the sun's contact marks. Viewing the coin as a whole, though, 66 causes me no pain. If ever a noob asks you, "What are flow lines?", show him this coin.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I like it at MS66. I just didn't think the TPGs had the nuts for that in their precious plastic.

15. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Nice 66 huh. Their are not much marks I can see. Looks like very nice lustre. The reverse where the breast is kinda soft in detail.

16. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Looks like a fine 66 to me. Very lustrous, well struck details on branch thumb, hair line, and skirt lines.

Some of the people in these threads are focusing too much on small things that are obvious in pictures the size of a plate, but are almost invisible at normal coin size viewing.

The luster "break" on the sun is likely more a function of your lighting than anything (it appears your lighting is diffused quite a lot). Are you using a light box or some sort of cloth diffusion on your lights? Highly diffused lights make coin surfaces look flatter than they really are, and can show very small luster grazes as if they were large scratches.

Nice coin! :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted