GTG/Name that coin!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrweaseluv, May 31, 2023.

1. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I'll even give you a head start...
    1878 "P" morgan dollar.......................... the rest is up to you lol
    PS I was lil excited about the price I won her at (1/2 list) lol
    1878pf (2).jpg 1878prf (2).jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

4. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

MS64, and I'll name it Jack.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  5. Dima

Dima Member

I think this is a 1878, 7 feathers, 2nd reverse; MS63. Looks like NGC holder, possible they gave it a "W" since it looks pretty clean and white.

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yea! What this dude said. ;)

Spark1951 and Dima like this.
  8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 63, and the 7 tail feathers, 2nd reverse. Looks like an NGC fatty holder. It is a MS coin, but the luster looks fairly subdued. Bad photographs, or is the coin weak in the luster department?

ldhair and Dima like this.
  9. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

10. mrweaseluv

just gonna add this to get the "reverse" clear as there are 4... 1st reverse was 8TF.. 2nd 7/8TF 3rd was 7TF rev of 78 and 4th was 7Tf rev of 79... just to be clear as all 4 are considered major varieties included in the full morgan set :D
    from the NGC full morgan set listing :D and as you can see I still need the other 3... I have a nice 78s in the date set but that's a different critter hehe
    Screenshot_3.png

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    Spark1951 likes this.
  11. Morgandude11

You have 2 and 3 backwards.

12. mrweaseluv

Nope nope ... 8 7/8 7 79 though they do call the 7TF the "so called" 2nd reverse but ngc and pcgs both list it as 3rd now on their sets :D
    This is why I posted the extras to be clear hehe
    (article from Ray James/Moderncoinmart)
    The 8, 7/8, and 7 Tail Feathers Morgan Silver Dollar Varieties

Even present-day Americans can agree that something was going on with the hind end of that bald eagle in the reverse design of the first year of issue Morgan Silver Dollars.

The original dies used in Philadelphia in 1878 clearly featured 8 tail feathers below the arrows on the legislatively mandated bald eagle that appeared in the reverse design. The 8 tail feathers coins were produced for about two weeks using this original reverse. Estimates vary about the number of coins struck with this reverse, but it is thought to be between 750,000 and one million coins.

[​IMG]

What is an 1878 7/8 Tail feathers Morgan Dollar?

After about a week, the dies were altered to what is now referred to as the 1878 7/8 tail feathers reverse. These coins clearly show that the original dies were changed to display only seven tail feathers. However, the altered dies still show the original 8 tail feathers visible, protruding beneath the prominent new 7 tail feathers design. These coins were struck for about two weeks also. While there is no generally accepted mintage for the 1878 7/8 tail feathers Morgan Dollars, numismatic legend Q. David Bowers has publicly estimated the mintage at roughly 500,000 coins.

The final versions of the reverse, the so-called second revised reverse, clearly show 7 tail feathers with no shadows or doubling that betray the original 8 tail feathers reverse. This 7 tail feathers reverse constitutes the bulk of the mintage. Still, it can be divided into two groups: the “reverse of ‘78,” which is characterized by a “flat breast, parallel top arrow feather” and an estimated mintage of 7.85 million, and the famous “reverse of ‘79,” which is characterized by a “convex breast, slanted top arrow feather” and an estimated mintage of 1.5 million.

[​IMG]
    How Did the Tail feather Die Varieties Occur?

The apocryphal story is that the coins were struck and released, and it was later brought to the Mint’s attention that the number of tail feathers on an eagle was actually seven, not eight. This discrepancy led to the dies being altered, resulting in the “quick fix” 7/8 tailfeathers reverse, and later, the 7 tailfeathers correction of the correction.

13. Dima

Dima Member

Here's another (similar) helpful image from PCGS --

[​IMG]

14. Morgandude11

Here are the recognized varieties of obverse/ reverse pairings. The article, while helpful, is a gross oversimplification.
    https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/dollars/49/

mrweaseluv likes this.
  15. mrweaseluv

Yup yup and as I stated they list them in the order I posted 8, 7/8, 7 and 79. I don't argue that the 7TF rev of 78 was called the 2nd reverse at one time but facts win out now and the 7tf rev of 78 is considered the 3rd type created or 4th if you count the strong and weak 7/8s as seperate types :D

16. mrweaseluv

Oh and here are some piss poor pics of my 8TF in the album date set hehe
    20230601_140916 (2).jpg 20230601_140947 (2).jpg

Dima likes this.
  17. Morgandude11

Forgot about the weak 7/8. It is kind of a forgettable Morgan in series collections.

18. mrweaseluv

Anyway.. is 23hrs so close enough. and yeah lots of yack on this one. And here is some more with the reveal... I agree at 1st glance I thought 61-2 because of lack of luster... on careful examination i noticed a slight rub on her hair above her temple... that's it one tiny little rub that might be ignored or considered "weak strike" but with near no luster I have to agree with the grade... and at 1/2 list I'm more then happy with it :D PS I appreaciate the edited post didn't mean to push buttons :D
    1878pf.jpg 1878prf.jpg

19. Morgandude11

That is a nice coin. It is a clear slider. I have owned many coins graded 63 that have that look. The key to me that it was lower in grade was the muted luster. Detail on the coin is still quite strong. On any given day, it could grade MS 62-63 or AU 58.

mrweaseluv likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted