GTG Monster 1880 Toned Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by toned_morgan, Jul 13, 2020.

1. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

Right well here it is! Only one of you, @bradgator2 , got it half right. It is PCGS MS62, and it is the first coin in my 1880's toned Morgan dollars set.

DSC_0757.jpg DSC_0758.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If you went to sell that as a 62 it would get cherrypicked pretty quickly. I believe that is an undergrade ignoring the color.

toned_morgan likes this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's a technical 62-63.

toned_morgan likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I like the grade on it. Let the market determine what the color goes for.

toned_morgan likes this.
  6. toned_morgan

Well I paid $89 for it, but I don't think the seller really knew what he was selling. Plus these were his pictures.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I’m not criticizing your E-Bay cherrypicking methods, but as time goes on, I think you will realized that in relation to toned Morgan Dollars, cheap is not a virtue. The best rainbow toned Morgans don't sell cheaply. If you want quality, you gotta pay for it.

8. toned_morgan

Yeah I know that. But then you can still find the cheap ones in the expensive bunch and save money / make lots of profit.

9. Lehigh96

Oh definitely, flipping coins with crappy photos for tidy profits is very gratifying!

Morgandude11 and toned_morgan like this.
  10. toned_morgan

Yep! I often see a coin with crappy pictures sell and then appear again with much better pictures and resell for the twice the price. Also, I feel like higher quality and more professional pictures often allow you to ramp the price up a bit more because the buyer feels like they're also paying a bit for the amazing pictures that the seller took. Idk, that's how I feel anyway.

11. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

It's a pleasant looking coin, although nowhere close to a Monster. FWIW, I would bet the majority of Monster toned Morgans are one sided toners.

Morgandude11, ddddd and toned_morgan like this.
  12. toned_morgan

I would say it's halfway there. All I need to do is add some rainbow, put some textile toning on it, and get it to MS66

Skyman likes this.
  13. Lehigh96

Why stop at MS66?

[​IMG]

14. ddddd

ddddd Member

I was going to guess MS 64. MS 63 would be a decent compromise. Usually it takes more to downgrade one of these to 62 (unless I'm not reading the photo accurately). There is money to be made flipping this coin based on the price. It's no monster (probably a mid-end examples) but is nice.

15. toned_morgan

Money

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Or the lack of.

toned_morgan likes this.
  18. toned_morgan

Yeah that's what I meant :hilarious:

Santinidollar likes this.
  19. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

51AE3779-063A-4F40-A4D3-BD31D078893C.jpeg
    In this picture, the toning is nice, but not exceptional. As a toned Morgan collector, I would not have bought that one at a big premium. If you want big premiums, ya need the ra
    It is a nice coin, but not one that would demand a significant premium. The big premium toners in the Morgan series are the rainbow, monster, and the explosive toner coins. I made lots of money when I sold the really intensely toned coins. Also, golden, and dual sided rim toned Morgans resell well. I would deem your coin pretty accurately graded, and while nicely toned, not so that I would pay a significant premium. This is the type of Morgan that I readily bought, and sold. High grade, and a solid rainbow. Reverse is untoned. This is a $400-600 coin.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    toned_morgan and Lehigh96 like this.
  20. toned_morgan

Yeah but since I am a teenager with no job really, 400-600 dollar coins are like $3,000 coins for you. They're something that you have to be very sure about. I agree that it isn't as amazingly toned as yours, and I agree that rainbows are where the money sits at, but on my budgets, your "nice" level is my "exceptional" level. I feel like I just ranted and made no sense there...

Skyman and Beefer518 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted