GTG: Easter egg edition> 1937D Buffalo

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Mar 29, 2015.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Hey guys new pickup today, just in time for Easter, a pastel buffalo-
    Guess Away- oh and if there as a reference, a site or someone with knowledge on a RPM or RPD for this date please chime in. This coin has one, both or some sorta MD. CAM02099.jpg CAM02101.jpg CAM02102.jpg CAM02104.jpg CAM02105.jpg and yes the holder has many scratches, i hate when that happens!

swamp yankee, cletis faye and dwhiz like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Get yourself some scratchout or similar plastic polish - like that used for headlight lens polish.

That slab is so bad it is hard to see for sure, but 63?

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Not the D/S but could be a D/D there are a lot of different ones

5. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

I'll go with MS64

6. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I'll also go with 64.

7. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

It looks MS-65 to me.

8. heavycam.monstervam

And the winner is......

9. heavycam.monstervam

Without further delay......

10. heavycam.monstervam

The cash, trophy, and bragging rights goes too........

11. heavycam.monstervam

Coinman, even though he missed by a point, id say this IS an ms65 w a 1 pt bump up for color? Well maybe, im not a nickel guy but i DO know that the only nice toned ones I see are here on CT CAM02178.jpg

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice coin. Not sure what I would have graded it to start with, but your pictures I think could be improved to help with the grading and seeing those colors. I know some buffalo nickels in high grade and lusters will have some really nice color at times.

13. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Man! I was going to say MS-66 (I was all ready to post MS-66) until I got too technical looking at every mark on the coin (and maybe the holder). Anyways, Close enough. You are starting to have a nice collection of toned coins.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Get a closer shot of the D and I'll give you the numbers. Nice buffalo.
    Just enlarged the image, there's only a few with a north position none match up with yours. Maybe a new variety as at Variety Vista and Treasure hunting buffalo's I see some close but not the same position . However the good news yes it's an RPM

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  15. Paddy54

It's very close to an 1937 D RPM 004 D D northwest but it's not it

16. heavycam.monstervam

Just got ur message paddy stand by for close up

17. Paddy54

I did get the image to enlarge , I checked several reference books of mine as well as variety vista. It's close to one. But no cigar... you know there are a lot of these. In the latter years Buffalo's. I'm working on a set of 38 D's.
    In fact I purchased another one Saturday at the Baltimore show a nice unc. 38 D raw for $7. :)

18. Paddy54

Here's an example of how hard they can be to spot.this is the 1938 D I got Saturday it's an MM style -002 D the same style that's on your 37 D . This is an RPM 005 according to Variety Vista. However that does not match my reference in treasure hunters. but the book is out dated. this is an D/D west. One I needed for my 38 D, D/D D/S DDS/ DDD/S set 1938 Buffalo D 32715.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    heavycam.monstervam and KurtS like this.
  19. heavycam.monstervam

Oh wow...... Well heres a better look at mine, you are definitely the guy to ascertain on these CAM02187.jpg CAM02190.jpg CAM02192.jpg CAM02193.jpg CAM02195.jpg

20. Paddy54

This one was even harder to place but I did find it.
    1938-D 5¢ WRPM-014

Description: D/D/D Tilted (Rotated) 1938 Buffalo WRPM 007.jpg
    Comments: This variety was previously listed in the Wexler Files as an OMM (WOMM-004). Further study has shown that this is not an OMM. There is no evidence of an S punch above or below the D mint mark. What was thought to be part of an S inside the D is straight and ends abruptly suggesting a die gouge and not an S punch. Others may still list this as an OMM.

heavycam.monstervam, jello and KurtS like this.
  21. Paddy54

http://doubleddie.com/985741.html here try this link as I can't carry over the image in my eye to the site. With the coin in hand it's much easier to tell. As you look at this site and compare the 1937 D's you'll see what I'm saying. I think I got it but can't be for sure. have a go and I'll check this post tomorrow and see if we both are on the same page.

heavycam.monstervam and jello like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted